• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Groups We Have Seen Live

Around 1963/64 I used to go to Kingshurst Youth Club and on a Sunday night we would travel by coach to the Coventry Theatre and see all the top groups. I know we had a great time and I still love the 60`s music. However it sounds really weird but I really can`t say who we saw. Is that daft or what ?

Did anyone else see the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park on the TV this weekend. It was the best live show featuring bands I have ever seen on TV. What a fantastic 1.5hrs. Where does Mick get his energy from.

Yes I saw it also and I believe the actual show was longer than what was televised, I may be wrong though. What crossed my mind was if any One Direction fans were watching and if they could imagine them doing a Hyde Park concert in forty fours years time, I think not:adoration::adoration:

Michael, If you can get in on catch up, please do - he put on his original white frock what he wore when he read the poem to Brian Jones[/QUOTE]

The first live group I saw was with my late Wife in Hong Kong (whilst serving with the RAF in Kai Tak) in 1953, it was Xavier Cougat (?) and his Wife Abi Lane playing South American brass, the last live artiste was the late Frankie Laine, a great favourite of my Wife at the Dome in Birmingham, this was in the 70 or 80's accompanied by the Bachelors and Frank Carson. Also saw a young Frank Sinatra in HK in 1954 a favourite of both my Wife and Myself. Happy days, now just memories. Eric
n

Genesis documentary 'Together And Apart' will be screened on BBC 2 on Saturday 4th October at 9:15pm. WHOOP WHOOP!!!!

Hi all,
Only just found this but a really good post, and some of the groups/bands mentioned brought back a few old mem` too. I had the pleasue of seeing the likes of: Status Quo (loads a times when they were younger), Uriah Heep, AC/DC, Bryan Adams, ZZ Top, Queen (at the old Wembley Stadium - Brilliant too), there should have been more but I stopped years ago. I would have loved to have seen Black Sabbath in their hey-day, Lynyrd Skynyrd (virtually all gone now), Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Stranglers .....and God knows how many others. Oh well -Oh yeh, Fleetwood Mac as well!!!!! Cheers Cresser.

Found a few more old ticket stubs out.
(for Proof!)
But Black Sabbath for 70 pence.

Black Sabbath - 1972.jpg

Curved Air - 1973.jpg

Genesis - 1973.jpg

Wishbone Ash - 1972.jpg

Edgar Broughton - 1972.jpg

I too just discovered this very enjoyable music thread. Living in Canada and North America in general, you realize what a big part music plays in British culture. It's ironic that much of the music we enjoyed was rooted in North America. However, I can say with some authority that Americans do not have the same connection to music that I and most of you guys do. Yes, there is a big music scene over here, but it is very superficial. I doubt very much if a thread like this would produce the same results, in particular the musical knowledge aspect. As teenagers, there is very little difference between Americans and Brits regarding musical interests, however, as we age, the difference is marked. I was fortunate to have lived in the UK until the mid 60's, which was an amazing time in the world of music. As a very young kid, my dad would take me to the Birmingham Town Hall to see the likes of Humphrey Lyttleton, Freddie Randall et al. We would go with my mom to the Birmingham Hippodrome to see Al Martino, Billy Eckstine, Johnny Ray, Frankie Laine etc. My folks moved to Crawley, Sussex in '56 but I was always visiting Brum whenever I had the opportunity. I started an R&B club in Crawley in 64-65 and had many of the now well known acts like The Animals, Pretty Things, Yardbirds, Alex Harvey, John Mayall, Long John Baldry and Rod Stewart + many more, don't get me started...

Dave A

Saw Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers at Birmingham Town Hall on 16th June 1977, i believe their second UK tour.

R.I.P. Tom, you will be sadly missed...

So sad hearing about Tom Pettys death. I saw him in 1992 at the NEC Arena "Into the great wide open" tour.
Great band, will be sadly missed.

I saw Status Quo in the days when they had short hair and wore smart suits. I think it was at The Swan, Yardley. We were queuing up for our coats when they suddenly realised they'd run out of time and hadn't played their big hit Pictures of Matchstickmen, so they played it there and then. I also saw The Who at the Belfry. My ears are still ringing.

Regards, Ray T.

I was born in 1940 and remember many post war stars who were famous before the rock and roll era. Later, Tommy Steele became my favourite as I grew older but I used to listen to all of them. When I was 18 in 1958 I started work as a part time doorman (bouncer). Having worked the doors at several venues on the Bristol Road, mainly in Selly Oak, Mothers in Erdington and a few others where and when extra help was required I found my music choice was changing. My last door job was at the Tower Ballroom and I found that I preferred ballroom music to pop and rock that had become not so enjoyable to me. I still prefer dance music but I also listen to singers with what I consider to be a nice voice. My all time favourite has always been "Country Music" but that has also changed out of all recognition now so I am glad I have all the old stuff on C.D.

I was born in 1940 and remember many post war stars who were famous before the rock and roll era. Later, Tommy Steele became my favourite as I grew older but I used to listen to all of them. When I was 18 in 1958 I started work as a part time doorman (bouncer). Having worked the doors at several venues on the Bristol Road, mainly in Selly Oak, Mothers in Erdington and a few others where and when extra help was required I found my music choice was changing. My last door job was at the Tower Ballroom and I found that I preferred ballroom music to pop and rock that had become not so enjoyable to me. I still prefer dance music but I also listen to singers with what I consider to be a nice voice. My all time favourite has always been "Country Music" but that has also changed out of all recognition now so I am glad I have all the old stuff on C.D.
Sticher, an unlikely combination, sewing & a bouncer. I hope you didn`t take your sewing with you on your bouncing jobs! Were you on the door when that well know one hit wonder, The Rockin Berries were doing their big hit? I can`t think of any other acts that were on that night, i was probably too busy with the amber nectar to notice.

I started a part time course on how to be a tailor whilst still at school so I learned the basics but did not really fancy sewing for a living for the next 50 years. I have posted a list of the jobs I had through my life previously. When I met my wife almost 50 years ago she had a sewing machine but could not use it. I tried to show her but she was not a good pupil so I made her a pair of flared trousers. She thought they were great so I ended up making most of her clothes, followed by a wardrobe full for our son when he was out of nappies. I made the wife a ball gown every year for an annual dinner dance we used to attend. When we were older and stopped going out at night I started making soft toys and earned some good money at it but the law changed and strict regulations were bought in dictating what materials you could use and the finished items had to have labels attached along with a raft of other regulations. By now clockwork watches and clocks were dying out and I did not want to learn about the electric mechanisms so I had no hobbies left and that was when someone suggested Xsitch and that brings us up to the present. To answer you question, "no, I did not take my sewing to work" but it was always a good defence
in court when my solicitor pointed out that needlework was my hobby so it was doubtful that I was a violent man.

Back