• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Group photos

One for Spargone. All Fire Tunics from the late 60s were made from Nomex fire retardant material a great improvement from the old black Melton material cnView attachment 138926olours and designs have changed over the years and now seem to have settled on light brown but I am told the new Fire Kit is not very popular with crews.
love is pleading face:)

Love this photo of all the tradesmen who worked on building new houses in Birmingham in the 1930's approx, don't know the exact photo date, front row 4th from the left is my grandfather Allen Saunders in his painter and decorators whites. He lived in Small Heath.Allen Saunders.jpg

This is a photograph that shows the first day trip excursion from Birmingham New st to Euston London that went after WW2 ended. It has my family in the centre, my grandmother Rose Saunders (Nee Bicknell), her son Ronald Saunders and her sister Edna Cannar. I am told it was organised by the Evening Mail newspaper. My grandmother wrote to them asking for a photo. The photo got torn and I have digitally reconstructed the train carriage as best I can.

New St to Euston Excursion.JPG

This is a photograph that shows the first day trip excursion from Birmingham New st to Euston London that went after WW2 ended. It has my family in the centre, my grandmother Rose Saunders (Nee Bicknell), her son Ronald Saunders and her sister Edna Cannar. I am told it was organised by the Evening Mail newspaper. My grandmother wrote to them asking for a photo. The photo got torn and I have digitally reconstructed the train carriage as best I can.

View attachment 146511

A_Picture_of_a_Southern_Town-_Life_in_Wartime_Reading,_Berkshire,_England,_UK,_1945_D25417.jpg
This photo (also Evening Mail) was also taken in Reading 1945 I believe, couldn't be the same train further down the line could it?

View attachment 146515
This photo (also Evening Mail) was also taken in Reading 1945 I believe, couldn't be the same train further down the line could it?
If the train went from New Street to Euston, it is doubtful that it would have gone through Reading. New Street and Euston in 1945 were LMS and Reading was GWR with a Southern presence in the bays south of the main line from Paddington to the West Country, South Wales, Midlands and Birkenhead. The line for the Midlands ran via Snow Hill.. From New Street the line ran via Marston Green, Coventry, Rugby, Northampton, Watford Junction and Euston, (112 miles), and there was always competition with the Great Western which ran via Solihull, Warwick, Banbury, Oxford, Reading and Paddington. Unfortunately I cannot remember the mileage of this route and for once google cannot help me. I will wait for Radiorails or DavidGrain to remind me.

Bob

Love this photo of all the tradesmen who worked on building new houses in Birmingham in the 1930's approx, don't know the exact photo date, front row 4th from the left is my grandfather Allen Saunders in his painter and decorators whites. He lived in Small Heath.View attachment 146509
Love this photo I have one like it I propabably posted it somewhere.

I wonder if anyone can add any info to this Group Photo. Taken in 1936. I can make out at the bottom of the cutting, Scotland, schoolboys, match?,Villa.
My Dad is highlighted with the square around him.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 0D4AE8DE-4BEC-46F9-B272-90D945AC5EA1.jpeg
    0D4AE8DE-4BEC-46F9-B272-90D945AC5EA1.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 44
Back