• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

West Midlands Fire Service

Birmingham Fire and Ambulance Service Breathing Apparatus Competition winners 70s.Sub Officer Lofty Sanders in the peak cap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191022-203117_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191022-203117_Gallery.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 19
I am certain Aggie will agree with this. A parade was always held at a fire station, taken before each watch or training period for retained firemen, began. A man who had been either a regular or national serviceman always stood out on a parade: they were used to the routine I guess.

West Midlands Fire Service ceremonial drill Squad trained by the Royal Marines under the supervision of Stn.O Les Martin ex RSM.and D.O Paul Buckingham. I have the video of their display at Fire 84 and the Training School but l am unsure whether or not it can be posted here?Screenshot_20191027-210408_Facebook.jpg

The unsung heroes of Fire Control without their skills and dedication us operational guys could not function. From the initial call crews are mobilised to the correct address with information on what to expect on arrival. Fire Control Operators are also in contact with operational crews via radio from start to finish so if anything is needed or goes wrong it is delt with Immediately.Screenshot_20191106-164859_Photos.jpg

Here's one to get Aggie, or anyone else, connected with the WM Fire Service to consider.
Around twenty five years ago a team from the WMFS attempted a Round Britain charitable event using a couple of dinghys. I believe they started out from Weymouth (maybe another, more easterly, southern port?) and were to travel in a westerly direction around Lands End and navigate the British Isles in a clockwise direction. The idea was short daylight journeys avoiding being at sea overnight. Their port of call in Torbay was Brixham, at the Breakwater, near the lifeboat station. Two pumps from the Devon F&RS (as it was then called) retained station at Brixham plus local Divisional Officers were there to greet their arrival. A portable tent was provided and the hospitality and facilities of the RNLI station was also laid on. The charity involved, was naturally, the Fire Service Benevolent Fund (now known as The Fire Service Charity).
It was not an easy thing for the men to attempt and once in the area off SW Cornwall (Plymouth and Lundy for those who listen to the shipping forecasts) the conditions in the Western Approaches meant they were forced to abandon their quest. At this distance in time I do not recall all the 'whys and wherefores' and I have mislaid the photos I once had of the team and their boats at Brixham. But maybe in the archives at Aston there might be something to contribute to this thread.

I am certain Aggie will agree with this. A parade was always held at a fire station, taken before each watch or training period for retained firemen, began. A man who had been either a regular or national serviceman always stood out on a parade: they were used to the routine I guess.
Here's one from 2006, should bring back some memories, and think of all the good things these guys have done to help people in this area over the last 13 years, our thanks to all of them, includes group photo.

West Midlands Fire Service Course March - June 2006

Why did our fire crews change to wearing light brown tunics, as being worn by crews in the USA? Is just the case that the fabric used has special properties making it 'best of class' or are we just following USA fashion, (don't get me started on the idiotic fad of doctors slinging stethoscopes around their necks, 'fireman lift' style, rather than hooked ready for action!)
Did British firefighters ever keep Dalmation dogs or is that just a US/Lego thing? As a boy I knew where all the fire hydrants were; my nephews didn't even know that they existed in the UK (too many US cartoons!). I think the US-style has something to do with sticking up above the snow. Apologises for moving off topic but once a question gets in my mind...

One for Spargone. All Fire Tunics from the late 60s were made from Nomex fire retardant material a great improvement from the old black Melton material cnScreenshot_20191107-205958_Dropbox.jpgolours and designs have changed over the years and now seem to have settled on light brown but I am told the new Fire Kit is not very popular with crews.

Whilst the lancer style (tradition with the 'V' shaped button design, looked smarter better than the present styles it did not have the protection that the modern kit does. Helmets and footwear have also changed over the years.

The earlier group photo adequately shows the uniform styles of the 20th. and 21st. century.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back