• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Group photos

Lyn

I was sent this photo a couple of years back by a poster on another forum who I assume had few relations and getting on in years was afraid that it would be destroyed when she passed on and as she didn't want this to happen she asked if I would take charge of it along with some photos of Ada Road school (which I will post later). I was only too pleased to oblige her.

well whoever the lady is/ was we are grateful that she had the unselfish thought to pass the photo onto you phil....and of course our thanks to you for posting it as i am quite sure that in the fulness of time it will mean something to someone...

lyn

Last edited:
Pupils and staff at Ada Road Primary School Small Heath, from the same source as the previous photo. The lady who gave them to me wasn't sure if they were taken in 1948 or 1949, With an additional photo of the staff at the Headmasters house in about the same time frame.

1948 Ada Road.jpgAda Rd 1948.jpgAda Rd Primary 2 or 3.jpgAda Rd Primary School 48-49.jpgAda Rd Staff.jpg

hi all
this is Oakley Road school Small Heath class of 1954.
This is my first try at sending a photo I hope everything is OK.

Regards Steerboy.
I cannot see the photo :( My father went to Oakley Road school as he lived in Cooksey Road, Small Heath.

Probably three groups in this pic carefully posed and one girl on her own . It is the Unity or Wesleyan Church on the corner of Birmingham Road and Sundial Lane Great Barr, but unfortunately no date.
ZMethodist_Chapel.jpg

The second pic shows the building now as a Methodist Church. There is a tree in front but no groups.
Wesleyan.jpg

Probably three groups in this pic carefully posed and one girl on her own . It is the Unity or Wesleyan Church on the corner of Birmingham Road and Sundial Lane Great Barr, but unfortunately no date.
View attachment 136794

The second pic shows the building now as a Methodist Church. There is a tree in front but no groups.
View attachment 136795
That girl on the right looks a bit of a rebel. (There's allways one !)

Hope it's OK to post the same picture on two threads. I thought it might get more exposure as I'm trying to identify the children. It's on the Tedbury Crescent School thread (and thinking about it it's also on the 'help' thread where it was kindly repaired. Date around mid-fifties.Tedbury Crescent play about 1956..jpg

Aaaah look at all those faces full of hope. Wonder what became of the axeman next to Teacher ?! Lovely photo.

Totally agree Lady P about multiple posting of one image. In the interests of uncovering our history, the more who see it the better. When time permits I shall copy some of the other posts to relevant school etc threads. Viv.

Aren't the girls pretty, Viv? It was Robinson Crusoe who bought the photo round to show to my brother, the highwaymen, on a recent visit. They were all at least a couple of years older than me so although I recognise many of the faces I can't put names to most them. Robinson thought that there were two school years who took part in the play and indeed I still see Mary Queen of Scots and she was definitely older than him which means that I may be a bit late with the date. Still looking into this.

Yes Lady P very sweet faces. Miss Muffett has a very distinctive face and Wee Willie Winnie looks like he might have just got out of bed ! Some look like actors in the making like PC Plod, Florence Nightingale and Mary Queen of Scots. I bet they had a lot of fun that day. Viv.

Aaaah look at all those faces full of hope. Wonder what became of the axeman next to Teacher ?! Lovely photo.

Totally agree Lady P about multiple posting of one image. In the interests of uncovering our history, the more who see it the better. When time permits I shall copy some of the other posts to relevant school etc threads. Viv.
.................and that bicycle made for two. :laughing:

View attachment 136794

View attachment 136795
Hello Mohawk,i was just looking at your great photo #308 of the church in Sundial Lane,it looks to me like the building next to the cottage with the three girls,looking closer than it is because of the foreshortening,what do you think ?

Hello Mohawk,i was just looking at your great photo #308 of the church in Sundial Lane,it looks to me like the building next to the cottage with the three girls,looking closer than it is because of the foreshortening,what do you think ?
Hi, To keep on topic I've put a comment about this in the Great Barr Cottage thread.
oldmohawk ... :)

Last edited:
I think those heavy fogs of the fifties were called 'smog'. They were dense due to the smoke laden atmosphere which coalesced with the low cloud. Apart from the difficulties of getting about it caused serious health issues for many and even death.
It was serious enough to bring about subsequent clean air acts in most cities.
However, it was not confined within city boundaries, outlying districts were also affected.
smog was bad. i remember walking in to a lampost,my face was all black and blue for days. it never alert`d my looks. i still am ugly

I have a feeling that the two Methodist church photos are not of the same building, there are fundamental differences in the structures.
Methodist chapels were generally of a similar pattern but had differences dependent on the locals wishes.

Back