• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Group photos

Anne Jessel

master brummie
Does anyone recognise themselves, or recognise friends.
What about group pictures during schooldays or whenever.
An example below
Anyone in the webring on this pic? Kingstanding Road Junior Boy' School Football Team
Anne

Here's a group from Aldridge Rd School which I think is called Great Barr comp these days. I remember the trip to London Zoo, visiting a 'British Restaurant' in London. Aldridge Rd school had its own 'Pig Farm' in those days. One of the Masters got bitten by a pig !

Visit_London_Zoo_1947.jpg

It's good we have another one!

Thank you for this "Mohawk"
I'd like to see more contributions to this thread. It's been up a while.
You never know, somebody might recognise somebody! Wouldn't that be good?
Has anyone got any pictures of school, club, outings groups in Brummie?
Anne

View attachment 9599
This was Handsworth Wood County Modern on Church Lane 1958.
I am fourth from the left in the front row, I had just had a perm as you can see.
View attachment 9600
St. Augustine's Roman Catholic School, Handsworth. 1954.
Seventh from the left on the middle row, just see the top of my head and glasses.
Do you recognise anyone or yourself on there?

Great idea Anne:) Mo

Last edited:
I have several class photos from Fentham Girl's School through the l950's.
I will put them up this coming week. I also have one of my brother's class at Marsh Hill Junior School in the late l940's.

Here are three group retirments from the GEC WITTON around the early to mid 1960s, ANY ONE RECALL ANY OF THE FOLK PICTURED?
Two are Switchgear (PROGRESS Dept).
One Rotating Plant (SALES/COST Office) which was based in the main addmin office block.
aston

Well - they're coming in now!

Thanks for these contributions. If you feature in your pictures don't forget to point yourself out!
Anne

Found this photo some time ago on friends reunited.
St Matthews school.lupin street.it is listed under duddeston manor school .but the building is too old to be duddeston.the person who put it on mentioned LINDA SOLLIS.who i knew went to lupin street.i think i am on the bottom row 2rd from left.the skinny one with the flapping ears.my brother may be the slightly larger one 3rd from left bottom row.not 100% sure.taken about 1959/60.before we moved to small heath.

View attachment 9632

Hi Patty, your pic of Upper Thomas Street Party shows both myself & my Mom (DORIS JENNEY),as indicated, I posted the same Pic on the UTS Site I think, is not your family on this too, can you mark them up for my records. thanks.
ASTON (Keith Jenney)

I think this was a great idea Anne. I wonder if there is some way we could have a school site on the main site. That is if there isn't one there already and transfer these photos and any appropriate comments.
If they are left on here new people to the history site probably won't see them. I am sure we all have many more that we could add.:) Mo

It is a good idea you never know if someone will recognise themselves, I found this photo of me in the school nativity I'm the angel with the chubby face in the middle it was taken at ridpool infants and I remember my mom said it went in the paper and I always presumed it would be the evening mail but I looked at the back of the photo and it says the birmingham planet so I'm wondering if that was a local paper, I've never heard of it myself but maybe someone has.

Thanks for that Jennyann you found the birmingham planet for me, it must have gone not long after the photo was taken, I love the fact that nearly any question you post gets an answer from you lovely lot, thanks again.

School Picture Site

I think this would be a lovely idea. I suppose really it's up to web space allocated. Would it be possible do you think?
Anne

What do you think Keith, Rod and John about having a school picture section on the main history site? Maybe it would have to be in areas of Birmingham as there are so many schools and I am sure some have the same name but a different address. Would this cause too much work for one of you? There seems to have been some interest on this thread from the members who went to school in the Birmingham area. Look forward to hearing your comments. :) Mo

Keith - Did you ever consider having a school photo section on the main site? There are a few here for a start and I have a feeling there might be some on another thread. Although I might be mistaken. :) Mo

It is a good idea you never know if someone will recognise themselves, I found this photo of me in the school nativity I'm the angel with the chubby face in the middle it was taken at ridpool infants and I remember my mom said it went in the paper and I always presumed it would be the evening mail but I looked at the back of the photo and it says the birmingham planet so I'm wondering if that was a local paper, I've never heard of it myself but maybe someone has.

can anyone explain where mariew's photos have gone.the one above is missing and the one of stechford lido was taken off.??

Back