• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Group photos

To compliment the above picture Swan Pub Yardley 1947 fire engine and personnel from Wash Lane Fire Station
Nice to see the old Swan at Yardley. Frequented by us Wilmot Breeden apprentices in 1950's. My gran's brother was at Wash Lane fire station in 1940's surname Bishop, Cyril I think, but not sure as I had "thousands" of great uncles and was never sure who did what. Further complicated as two brothers married two sisters sounds incestuous but not!

Last edited:
Nice photo of Upper Thomas Street Baron, Post #92. My Woolleys had moved out by the time this photo was taken. They were at number 38 in the same road and moved out during the war.

The group in post#63 has become larger as they pose on Wyndley Pool c1895. Some on the left wear skates and reminds me of when I skated there in the 1960s. Probably would not be allowed these days.
CurlingSuttonPark.jpg

Expanded foam drill Central Fire Station 70's The Officer is Taff Thomas ex Welsh Guards and D Day veteran.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170303-204855.jpg
    Screenshot_20170303-204855.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 32
Good point Maypolebaz. Maybe it was a reuinion. And maybe they were former bus employees? To pose for a photo at a bus depot seems a bit odd to me, although not impossible So I assume they had something to do with Birmingham buses. Viv.

This is my 1st post for a long time now so I thought I'd start again by showing a group photo of the Fleet Air Arm Exhib' Team 1979 at Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton awaiting Admirals Inspection. And in case you haven't guessed, I'm the good looking one.

Attachments

• P094.jpg
    P094.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 64
Good to hear from you again Chocks. Great photo, all looking very dapper. What exactly was the role of the Fleet Air Arm Exhib Team? (Apologies for ignorance!) viv.

Thanks Vivienne. The principle of the team was to fly the flag so to speak, a public relations exercise but it was also to spark an interest in potential recruits to opt for the FAA trades. For us, the reality of the team was a cushy number and an easy life.

Like the Trailer in the background with a Flat Top, not that one, but there was a Victorious Model, Hi Chocks

This is my 1st post for a long time now so I thought I'd start again by showing a group photo of the Fleet Air Arm Exhib' Team 1979 at Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton awaiting Admirals Inspection. And in case you haven't guessed, I'm the good looking one.
Chocks,my brother Harvey Barr, was in the RNAS for 22years and really enjoyed his time in service, traveled quite a lot but mostly in the UK....Brenda

The Birmingham Corporation Tramways Cricket Team in 1911. With names ! Hope someone finds a relation in amongst them. Viv.

image.jpeg

I notice Photobucket made 4 pics disappear from this thread so extracted them as below. (the pics have now been restored ref post#121)
Post#68
P68-1-Jan20_16-001.jpg
Post#69
p69-1-SwanYardley1948.jpg
Post#70
P70-1-AuctionSwanYardley.jpg
Post#71
P71-Jan18_0-001.jpg

Last edited:
8.jpeg
This photo shows all the neighbours families who lived in close proximity to my family in Oakhill Crescent Acocks Green in about 1950. We are all on the playing field just off Lakey Lane at the back f our house.

Group outside Quinton Road bus garage in the 1950s. Was it a works group? Viv.

View attachment 114418
Replacement of photos drew my attention to this thread and photo.
Quinton was one of BCT's last new depots which opened in October 1949. This may have been the 'official' opening or a delegation to inspect it. It featured up to date methods of servicing the city's buses which ran mainly on the 3A, 9,10 and 34 services with an allocation of 72 buses.

Last edited:
Back