• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Group photos

White watch Central Fire Station Corporation St charity football match Christmas 1962.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos Aggie. People love dressing up don't they?

On the dressing up theme, here's a Lozells Street May Day photo from 1928. Can't work out what the theme or story is. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 47
Another group in fancy dress, some smile, some don't .... it was 1954 .... at the old ice rink in Springhill.
Christmas_Ice_Rink_Party_about_1954.jpg

Last edited:
In those days when we were called upon to do fancy dress, there was always a cowboy, a little Bo-peep, and a Mandarin. But not often you see them all ice-skating together! Not sure I can fathom what the musical note costume is all about - a 45rpm, EP or LP?

These guys are all dressed up, but not fancy dress. I think this Gisborn Famous City of Birmingham Military Band photo was to advertise Gisborn's musical instrument manufacture in Vere Street. They made musical instruments from around the mid 1800s. Viv

image.jpg

Last edited:
A photograph of the Birmingham and Midland Institute Ramblers (Institute Ramblers) taken in about 1938. I do not know the location. The lady in the wide-brimmed hat in the back row is Mrs. Yarwood, wife of the President of the club Mr. George A Yarwood who is on her left (our right). I believe that Mr. Yarwood owned a company in Birmingham but I do not know which one. He died in the mid-1960s. Mr. A. E. Wright (Vice-President) is on Mrs Yarwood's right (our left). It is unlikely that these three people actually rambled that day (older generation) but probably turned up for tea and the photograph. The ratio of women to men is very high. Dave.

Attachments

• P1020686 (2).JPG
    P1020686 (2).JPG
    484.2 KB · Views: 49
img002.jpg
This "group" photo is from about 1963. Wilmot Breeden apprentices association concert. They will by now be pensioners. I wonder how their lives panned out? Can you recognise anyone?

Hi, photo's are great has anyone got any photo's of Aston Lane School, or Aston schools. I try to view pictures , View
Attachment ----. I am unable to view.

jackie some time ago the forum was hacked and we lost all of our photos this is why you cant view some of them...if you let us know which ones you cant view and where to find them we maybe able to repost them

lyn

Hi Lyn , thanks I will do. Being new to the forum I viewing loads, I was looking for Aston Lane School for my father-in-law. He's 89 yrs. He was born 2/22 Dawlish Terrace, Sutherland St. The look on his face yesterday lit up with delight, with all the photo's the forum has. Listening to his stories. It made his Christmas, but I will remember your advice.

Jackie

thats great jackie...so pleased we have made your dad in laws christmas...theres loads to look at on this forum...any help needed just say..dont forget to use the search box top right of the main page..just type in what you are looking for..never know what may turn up

lyn

I have just searched the forum's image host (Coppermine) and there is the photo below which has Aston Lane School in its title.
Aston_Lane_School__Birmingham_edited.jpg

It's Winter 1895 in Sutton Park and Wyndley Pool has frozen over but it has snowed so not ideal for curling. They stopped to pose - top hats, bowlers, handkerchiefs in top pockets and button style trousers on the right !
wyndley.jpg
Is the guy in the middle standing on a snow board ? has he been back to the future ;0))

Hi Keith,
I think if he came into the future he would soon want to go back, but he looks as if he came from some posh area of Sutton Coldfield so life back then for him must have been good. Good old frozen Wyndley Pool such memories for us.
Phil

Last edited:
Hi Keith,
I think if he came into the future he would soon want to go back, but he looks as if he came from some posh area of Sutton Coldfield so life back then for him must have been good. Good old frozen Wyndley Pool such memories for us.
Phil
Miss those days Phil, never thought this global warming was true but we never seem to have winters like back then.Hope you are keeping well.

Yes Keith, I'm well ... just getting old but still young in my mind as I look back at the 'old days' !
I have just updated the links to work correctly in post#30 one of which goes to the explanation about the coach party post.
Phil

Long ago at the old Birmingham Ice Rink, Streatham v Birmingham in 1949. No sponsors or safety helmets in those days and they paid their own travel expenses ... I'm not in the pic it was before my time ...:)
BhamvStreathamJan1949.JPG

(only visible if logged in)

Nan used to skate on the Stourbridge canal, she said the posh folk had roller skates some tied bones to their shoes, she just wore her shoes. The chap at the back looks to have a wheelbarrow. My sister just contacted me from Spain it has snowed on the coast overnight the first time in 16 years. Dog won't go out.! Great photo. You don't see many winter photos. Love the besums if that is how you spell it (brooms)

Long ago at the old Birmingham Ice Rink, Streatham v Birmingham in 1949. No sponsors or safety helmets in those days and they paid their own travel expenses ... I'm not in the pic it was before my time ...:)
BhamvStreathamJan1949.JPG

(only visible if logged in)
Phil

This picture stirred a few memories I joined the Mohawks in 1960 whilst I was still at school studying for my O Levels and you were then one of the top UK speed skaters.

Looking at the picture I think I can identify those that were still involved with the club during the early 60’s namely Dennis Blundell, Bill Jones and Brian Grinsell. I am sure you will be able confirm the names of any that I have missed, possibly Alan Doleman.

Sadly unable to comment on the Streatham team, in fact I can only recall ever racing at that rink once.

Welcome Inside Track. Hope you enjoy the forum. Please feel free to tell us any memories you have.

Viv.

Remember that excitement? What lucky children to be off to Ludlow. A smashing place to visit. Some of them seem very young to be doing the journey to Ludlow. Hopefully their mums/sisters/brothers went with them Viv.

"Viv", Ludlow's was the local coach company, remember being taken on school trips by them, about the same time as the photograph. Where I was first introduced to marmite and lettuce sandwiches, sort of thing you don't forget

I noticed the photo as I was searching for something else and it reminded me of similar events in my childhood. A quote below from the source of the photo.
A trip, possibly to Kettering Park, organised by Frances Road resident Mrs Butler in circa 1952/3. Participants were Frances Road residents past and present and include Lois Brown, Molly Hickey, Phyllis Patrick, Maggie Snipe, Alice Howes, Rodney Stokes, Sidney Banner and Steve Lovesey. The coach is provided by Birmingham firm Ludlow Brothers.

Phil

This picture stirred a few memories I joined the Mohawks in 1960 whilst I was still at school studying for my O Levels and you were then one of the top UK speed skaters.

Looking at the picture I think I can identify those that were still involved with the club during the early 60’s namely Dennis Blundell, Bill Jones and Brian Grinsell. I am sure you will be able confirm the names of any that I have missed, possibly Alan Doleman.

Sadly unable to comment on the Streatham team, in fact I can only recall ever racing at that rink once.
I see Art Hambidge next to Bill Jones & Pete Jennings

Plenty of flags out for the Queen's Coronation as another group pose in this photo on the forum.
It is amongst a collection which Lyn scanned in 2009 from some old Evening Mails see them here.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...d-evening-mail-pics.21690/page-16#post-422536
The reason for the red star is explained in a post here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ld-evening-mail-pics.21690/page-2#post-180894

Corornation_outing_upper_thomas_st__1~0.jpg
UPPER THOMAS STREET tour of the streets of aston to see the buntting. the Red stared lady is My Aunt Edith Lamb ( Nee Woolley)

A moment of street togetherness in a forum photo from another thread as quoted below
This is a picture of some of the residence of Jakeman Road, Balsall Heath, on VE Day, 1945. My Mother is the one with the white spot on her, and her Mother, Emily Yarnold, sadly no longer with us, is just behind her, also with a white spot Does anyone recognise themselves, or anyone else in it?.
VE Day_NEW copy.jpg
Jakeman Road today
JakemanRd2017.JPG

Last edited:
Back