• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Group photos

My brother worked as a telegram boy at the central post office, he only got a red pedal bike :) he broke his ankle putting his foot down heavily coming down Kingstanding hill in the fog and trying to avoid a hidden parked car.

Did we really have fogs that thick in the fifties? Makes today's moans about air pollution a bit ott. :)

I think those heavy fogs of the fifties were called 'smog'. They were dense due to the smoke laden atmosphere which coalesced with the low cloud. Apart from the difficulties of getting about it caused serious health issues for many and even death.
It was serious enough to bring about subsequent clean air acts in most cities.
However, it was not confined within city boundaries, outlying districts were also affected.

I think those heavy fogs of the fifties were called 'smog'. They were dense due to the smoke laden atmosphere which coalesced with the low cloud. Apart from the difficulties of getting about it caused serious health issues for many and even death.
It was serious enough to bring about subsequent clean air acts in most cities.
However, it was not confined within city boundaries, outlying districts were also affected.
I think the medics must have had great difficulty deciding if it was the fog or the fags that killed you in those days.

Yes to the fog in the 50's!
I can remember walking to junior school and hardly being able to see very far in front of me - quite spooky and disorienting.
They were so thick that the lorries using Chester Road and following the kerb, could not see the far kerb at Lakehouse Road and often turned in there, sometimes two or three together. There used to be some straining pulling the non-power steering, steering wheels to get across the bay that the entrance made and back on to the Chester Road. I have seen people there with torches, guiding the lorries across the entrance.

Bob

Back