• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grotto cafe Bromsgrove Street 1960’s

Deegan

Brummie babby
Hello , can anyone remember the Grotto coffee bar / cafe in Bromsgrove Street in the late 1960’s , I think it was run by Cypriots and was a jazz club by night . I think one of the people who worked in the club was Tony Parsons who was Cypriot .

I was recently asked this question elsewhere (it may have been you Deegan). I have no personal knowledge of this Cafe/nightclub, but I was able to come up with this photo which I believe might have originate on this forum which was posted for another purpose. The Grotto is the brown fronted premises adjacent to the fire engine the one with the porch over the doorway.

City Bromsgrove grotto cafe.jpg

Thank you . Hopefully someone remembers visiting the cafe/ jazz club and Tony / Anthony Parsons

Hello , can anyone remember the Grotto coffee bar / cafe in Bromsgrove Street in t he late 1960’s , I think it was run by Cypriots and was a jazz club by night . I think one of the people who worked in the club was Tony Parsons who was Cypriot .
I used to use the grooto in the 60s we used the club downstairs on a Saturday night love to see some photos of the place tried every were to get some with no luck we had some good times drinking the cider that's after picking out the wood from the glass they turned it into a jazz club and it went down hill from their boy how I would like to see them days again all gone now same a the ring way just over the road from the silver blades

Good day all, I was a frequent visitor to the Grotto club from 1959 to 1964. It was owned by the Finn brothers who were diverse business men, the cafe part of the business was nothing more than a legitimate front for the “speak easy” type club hidden in the Cellars below, access was walking a few yards down the street, turn 1st right and then right again up a long dark alley which brought you to a heavy wooded door, upon which you knocked 3 times to get a pair of eyes peering through a slot asking what you want? You had to say who recommended you to the Grotto before being allowed in.

Upon entering one went down steps into the 1st of several rooms, one a bar, next a gambling den for roulett, craps, etc. further in was the cavern (created by forcing paper machete into preformed chicken wire and when painted white gave the feeling of being in a deep cavern. In here would be music played by resident keyboard player Gordon, other musicians such as the newly formed Spencer Davis group! Also this room was used for dancing, singing and striptease, not a sleazy as it might sound, but well known professional artists would appear such as Pauline Penny, Monique the black Orchid. In 1962 I took Gene Vincent while touring the UK, he was (in cognitio) not wanting recognition, just an enjoyable experience, but it wasn’t long before someone recognised him.

I have often wondered what became of Gary Finn (the governor) I do recall that he had something to do with the importation of the original glass frothy coffee cups used in coffee bars country wide, hence the cafe upstairs as a front decoy. The place was raided a few times in the early sixties (fortunately not when I was there) but it seemed to reappear and carry on a bit like Houdin!

Should anyone recognise the Grotto I knew so well, please post your memories.

Leo

Hello , can anyone remember the Grotto coffee bar / cafe in Bromsgrove Street in the late 1960’s , I think it was run by Cypriots and was a jazz club by night . I think one of the people who worked in the club was Tony Parsons who was Cypriot .

I used to use the grooto in the 60s we used the club downstairs on a Saturday night love to see some photos of the place tried every were to get some with no luck we had some good times drinking the cider that's after picking out the wood from the glass they turned it into a jazz club and it went down hill from their boy how I would like to see them days again all gone now same a the ring way just over the road from the silver blades
Good day all, I was a frequent visitor to the Grotto club from 1959 to 1964. It was owned by the Finn brothers who were diverse business men, the cafe part of the business was nothing more than a legitimate front for the “speak easy” type club hidden in the Cellars below, access was walking a few yards down the street, turn 1st right and then right again up a long dark alley which brought you to a heavy wooded door, upon which you knocked 3 times to get a pair of eyes peering through a slot asking what you want? You had to say who recommended you to the Grotto before being allowed in.

Upon entering one went down steps into the 1st of several rooms, one a bar, next a gambling den for roulett, craps, etc. further in was the cavern (created by forcing paper machete into preformed chicken wire and when painted white gave the feeling of being in a deep cavern. In here would be music played by resident keyboard player Gordon, other musicians such as the newly formed Spencer Davis group! Also this room was used for dancing, singing and striptease, not a sleazy as it might sound, but well known professional artists would appear such as Pauline Penny, Monique the black Orchid. In 1962 I took Gene Vincent while touring the UK, he was (in cognitio) not wanting recognition, just an enjoyable experience, but it wasn’t long before someone recognised him.

I have often wondered what became of Gary Finn (the governor) I do recall that he had something to do with the importation of the original glass frothy coffee cups used in coffee bars country wide, hence the cafe upstairs as a front decoy. The place was raided a few times in the early sixties (fortunately not when I was there) but it seemed to reappear and carry on a bit like Houdin!

Should anyone recognise the Grotto I knew so well, please post your memories.

Leo

Yes I remember The Grotto Club well. About 1960/61 I was a member of The Birmingham Underwater Exploration Club. We had a new Chairman every year, voted for by the members. Two men stood, my friend Ron and Jonny. Jonny won because he offered us all free membership of The Grotto Club if we voted for him. One of our members was a Police inspector, so we knew if he was with us at the club we were safe from a raid. When he left, we all left. I well remember the organist, Gordon, he worked for the B.B.C. We noticed that he would play an organ for about two weeks then another one would appear. This went on for about two months until on one notable evening some men arrived and removed the instrument as Gordon continued to play. Apparently The Finns had gone round Birmingham having the organs on Appro until they had exhausted all the shops. They then installed a Jukebox.

Through the B.U.E.C my friend Graham and I were involved in a marine themed Fashion Show which took place at The Grand Hotel. Many beautiful models from London were took part. After the show we were asked what could Birmingham night life do. Not much in the early sixties, so we suggested going to The Grotto. We got there before the main party and the Finn brothers rang the fire alarm and cleared the club. When everyone had gone they let us and our new found friends in, that was some party!

Graham and I went at least once, sometimes twice a week. The club was steadily going downhill. To begin with there would be a new girl every week, but it all got a bit tired and the girls got older. I remember one girl, Mitzi, who stripped down to nothing but an Elastoplast!

However our most memorable visit and one of the funniest evenings of our lives, was near the end of our attendance. I moved to London and Graham had better things to do. The girl, Trixie, had been performing for weeks and we had seen her a few times. It was always announced as her last performance after her successful tour of East Africa. She wasn’t a stripper but a dancer and we heard it really was her last performance. What we learnt later was that she had been sacked. Those who knew The Grotto will remember how the low ceiling was in the room in which the performances took place. There was no stage just the middle of the floor. There were low benches down each side and The Jukebox at an angle in the corner. I don’t know why, but Graham and I got ourselves behind the Jukebox and pulled it in, locking us in the corner. Trixie came on in a sparkly Bikini, her props were two flaming torches and three Ali Baba Baskets, two small and one large. She started with the torches, the flames searing along the ceiling. If there had been a fire, no one would have got out. We noticed that one of the small baskets was moving until it suddenly fell over. Out slithered a three foot python. Normally Trixie’s snakes were quite docile, she would keep them cool but this night they were on the rampage. Unfortunately sitting on the benches on one side of the room was the male staff of the local Chinese Restaurant wearing black suits. The snake got under the bench causing chaos. In the melee the other basket tipped over. On the other side of the room some regular patrons of the strip club scene were drinking and eating sandwiches. One of then decided to offer one of the snakes his sandwich. Graham and I leaning over the Jukebox could hardly contain ourselves. With the flames extinguished and the snakes rounded up we were ready for the finale. Trixie leant into the large basket and extracted a six foot python which she held above her head. She did a few moves with it and then unwisely started to spin. At this point the snake had had enough and stared to relieve itself wetting the poor Chinese as it passed by. Worse was to come. It began to poo like a machine gun. Every time it went by Graham and I ducked. Chaos ensued, the music stopped, Trixie was dragged off never to be seen again. Graham and I had a story to entertain family and friends for many years.

Back