• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grosvenor Street

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
My great grandfather was a plater and is in the Birmingham Trades Directories of the 1880s, firstly at 145 Grosvenor Street and then the last two entries are 20 back of and 25 back of Grosvenor Street West. His name was Francis Durows. Has anyone a map that can pinpoint these locations?
Bob Davis

Back of 25 was in a court (called court 1). The electoral rolls of 1920 describe all the houses in court 1 as back 25. Assuming that the house referred to was actually the one immediately behind 25, then it is coloured red in the map below from c1889. Simillarly back 25 is coloured green and 145 is coloured blue.
map c 1889 showing grosvenor st west showing 145, back 20 and back 25.jpg

Back of 25 was in a court (called court 1). The electoral rolls of 1920 describe all the houses in court 1 as back 25. Assuming that the house referred to was actually the one immediately behind 25, then it is coloured red in the map below from c1889. Simillarly back 25 is coloured green and 145 is coloured blue.
View attachment 121599
Many thanks
Bob

Should have pointed out (in case of later queries by others), that in 1880 Francis Durrows was at 145 Grosvenor St West. not Grosvenor St

Should have pointed out (in case of later queries by others), that in 1880 Francis Durrows was at 145 Grosvenor St West. not Grosvenor St
Thanks again, a major infringement on my part I did not realise there was an east and west on Grosvenor Street, New York, yes, Hockley (is it) apparently so. Interestingly enough my family tree researches only ever referred to Grosvenor Street. To finish the story, regrettably after the 1880s, Francis disappears from view, to reappear in the Rubery Lunativ Asylum and die in 1915. He is apparently buried in Witton cemetery. Anyway thanks for all your help on this. I am acquainted with the back to backs of Ladywood and district as my father after the war and returning to stockbroking for a while was the conservative agent for the would be Tory MPs who would stand against Victor Yates (who he got on very well with and had a lot of time for) at general elections and while accompanying him around the ward, saw a lot of life in the back to backs and the pride that so many people had in their houses, regardless of size. I also remember how friendly and welcoming they always were, a cup of tea, a piece of cake for the boy, sit yourself down and in winter the houses were always warm and comfortable

Bob

Bob
I was just making it clear in case anyone reading it later assumed I had got the wrong street. In fact there was a Grosvenor street also, but on the other side of town to G.S.West, which is in Ladywood. It may be called that because it is on the west side of town, while Grosvenor St is on the east side of town

Bob
I was just making it clear in case anyone reading it later assumed I had got the wrong street. In fact there was a Grosvenor street also, but on the other side of town to G.S.West, which is in Ladywood. It may be called that because it is on the west side of town, while Grosvenor St is on the east side of town
No matter you found great granddad houses for me
Bob

Back