• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grocers Aberdeen Street

L

lana

Hello,

Does anyone remember a green grocers or grocers in Aberdeen Street, please?

George Henry SOUTHALL and Clara SMITH who lived in Winson Green Birimingham, England ran a grocer's shop at 119 Aberdeen Street and later at 44 Aberdeen Street.

I am particularly interested in finding the family of Sarah Southall (George's sister) who married Thomas Kitchen. I am very interest in finding family related to two of their daughters. Clara Kitchen born c 1876 and Amy Kitchen born c1880 who married Joseph Allen.

Clara quotes 52 Aberdeen Street as her address.

Do any of these names mean anything to you? Do pictures exist of the grocer shop or other buildings in Aberdeen street?

Many thanks for reading
Happy Hunting
Best Wishes
Lana

Lana
George took over the shop at 119 Aberdeen Street between 1883 and 1884. Between 1892 and 1895 he took over no 120 as well for his shop. Between 1908 and 1912 he moved to no. 44. His shop was still there in 1921, but had gone by 1932.
mike

Lana ,

Try Ted Rudge's website - Winson green to brookfields -
For photo's and memoirs of Aberdeen St

Bo

i beleive there was two crocers in aberden street during the early years one was at the bottom end of the street near the corner of of aberdeen st and the junction of winson green rd i think it was a batch of two or three little shops next to the news agents
and the main one was always busy was half way up next to the opening and just yards from the queens head i cannot remember the name of the owners but some of the familys i can the froggatts , the sumerfield family whom lived directly next to the shop and the prices the tustins the two hansons family i used to work with lou summerfeld he had a daughter gail .the dunkleys and many more even ted
but for the love nor money i cannot remember the shop keepers names
have a nice day every body astonian

Lana
George took over the shop at 119 Aberdeen Street between 1883 and 1884. Between 1892 and 1895 he took over no 120 as well for his shop. Between 1908 and 1912 he moved to no. 44. His shop was still there in 1921, but had gone by 1932.
mike

Wow, thank you so much. Where did you find that out from, please?

Many thanks
Lana

i beleive there was two crocers in aberden street during the early years one was at the bottom end of the street near the corner of of aberdeen st and the junction of winson green rd i think it was a batch of two or three little shops next to the news agents
and the main one was always busy was half way up next to the opening and just yards from the queens head i cannot remember the name of the owners but some of the familys i can the froggatts , the sumerfield family whom lived directly next to the shop and the prices the tustins the two hansons family i used to work with lou summerfeld he had a daughter gail .the dunkleys and many more even ted
but for the love nor money i cannot remember the shop keepers names
have a nice day every body astonian

Thank you - I'll have to try and find an old map to get a sense of the road layout.

I suspect that Amy Kitchen married Joseph Allen c 1907. I would really like to be able to locate the descendants - I don't suppose anyone remembers an Allen family?

Also, Amy's sister was Clara Kitchen and I believe she returned to 52 Aberdeen street in June 1935 - she may have had a daughter - Lilian - does that ring any bells.

Here's hoping

Kind Regards
Lana

Lana
The results i got came from looking at various directories over the period. You asked for a map. Attached is a map of 1903. The numbering was continuous from Winson Green road along the north side, and then back(presumably) from the Workhouse end along the south side. I cannot be 100% sure, particularly with nos 119, 120 but am fairly sure that no 44 was the shop in blue. What I think is 119 (green) and 120 (red) are also marked, but, because of a lack of recorded buildings, I might be 1 or possibly 2 buildings out here. Normally I'd check through a whole range of directories to try (possibly) and tie it down more completely, but am using an old computer at the moment while my decent one is repaired (again!!) , and it has the speed of a slug, so I cannot do that.
Hope this is useful
Mike

hi lana
aberdeen street was situated between winson green rd and the city hospital
which as you are probable aware of was dudley rd hospital
when you got to the hospital entrance you would walk down that rd which is aberdeen street there is a twist in the rd ; [ a bend in the rd ]and then aberdeen street straightened up [ i for got to mention at that bend is bears to the left
which takes you into landownes street and that bye theway is the back end of the
two named hospitals as there was one time, namely summerfield hospital
for the elderly people and then there was the then named hospital dudley rd ,]
but continue down aberdeen street all the houses had no front gardens until you reached about half way down the street the first commercial property was the queens head then the front houses again about 1oo yards down the street again was the grocers and next to that or should i say behind that was theback houses where a lady friend of mine whom we called little maggie , and my freind lou summerfield ad gail lived next to the shop then it was back to the front houses with no front gardens
with two front door steps to enter the house and where the tustins lived and the hansons , sid and norman and there was along gap then you came to the colliss tv rentals ware houses and there shop was on winson green rd around the corner
if you was to cross the rd on the oppersite side of aberdeen st and walk up you had the news agents on the corner and star walking back to the hospital from the news agents there eas small back and front houses with back entrys then there wasa large row of house that layed well back with very long front gardens brefore you got to there front doors with back doors as well couple of freinds of mine lived in them the dunkleys from st marks street and the prices the harrisons then you was back on the houses with no front gardens then after that you would come to the back to back house where you would go down entrys to houses in a big yard where a number of house would be 1 , or two bedrooms houses the cotterills family lived down there
then you was on the front houses with no front gardens very posh people lived in these then there was a building i think it was some kind of work shop some think i think was engineering or motor cars with big posh gatesand then a row of houses then a batch of posh clean houses one was the froggatts family , [ alf ]
afew more of the same and then you was back at landsdowne st crossing there to continue to the hospital entrance there was a row of posh houses
when i say posh well kept house always looking spritely clean with sparkley windows ans steps polished just before you hit the hospital entrance
and by the way there is alot of the allens family sibbling live down and around the other side of the hospital down the bottomend of western rd and other sisters are around the lodge rd end as to where scribbonas bakery used to be and abbey stret was the last time i heard of them and ithink if i am right lilian marrird a steadman and at and around the early years lived in king edwards rd which was down by spring hill passage and that i know tat they was related to the allens and i leart afew
years ago that lil had finaly died one of her sons ronnie is and old friend old freind of mine and so is dave allen since we went to school together and we are still in touch
i went to his sons wedding about five years ago
lana have a nice day best wishes astonian ,;;

Back