• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

gro services

philbee

birmingham born and bred
good evening all:crying:
i am having a frustrating time with the gro i have ordered a birth certificate from them online it has been over a week and i have not had any response from them i have emailled them and got the standard email in reply i have just emailled them again inserting GQ i have tried ringing them in the hours stated but still no joy the money has been authorised so i would like to know one way or the other.
any body else had this problem, or know why birmingham registry office has suspended their online service:redface:
phil

If GRO are busy it can be 2 weeks or more, don't know about Birmingham online service being suspended

bren

the general register office always take over a week to send the certificate, usually about 10 days i have found.

bham register office is great, and although you cannot order online, if you go to their website there is a form to download for the certificate you require. i sent for one last week and had it two days later :)

Although I find certs arrive from the GRO 7 days after ordering, their communications system is diabolical. I emailed the GRO on 16th July regarding an error on the referencing sheet & although they sent an acknowledgement nothing further has arrived.
I use the excellent search facility of UK BMD & references, then order from local offices wherever possible as the service is so good.

Some areas of the country have had disruption to postal services over the last couple of weeks, so the certificate may have got caught up in the dispute.

Online ordering from Birmingham registry office has been suspended whilst the website is being redesigned/revamped. There has been no indication when this service will be restored. There is another thread about this.

be very wary of gro southport. I have found out that they have made lots of mistakes and issued wrong certificates. You'd expect them to get it right and trust them when they say your research is wrong. have now found 2 glaring mistakes which quite frankly has screwed up my research and put me back about 2 years. When i emailed to complain they said i had 3 months from the date of issue of certificate to complian otherwise they wont do anything. How can we mere mortals know if they screw up?

Personally im writing for legal advice as their mistake has cost me over £100 obtaining certificates when i didnt need to, small claims i know but if they mess up with everyone then theyre raking in a fortune :stressed:

Back