• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GRO Certificate Reference numbers

Amanda Wright

master brummie
Hi,
Could any one tell me how the reference numbers break up ?
Like.......9c 213/ 6d/58......................what does the 9c stand for ...is it an area code ?
And where do I find these codes
many thanks
Amanda
x

They reference to the register volume number and page number the certificate was issued from, and there are often several certificates to a page.
There must also be reference to the date by year and quarter, and the place name of the appropriate registry office.
I think the GRO references the four year quarters by month, i.e. January-March, April-June, July-Sept, October-December.
Examples would be: 2nd quarter 1949 Birmingham vol 9c page 1030 (my birth certificate!) and 4th quarter 1897 Steyning vol 2b page 273 (my father's birth).

Last edited:
Hi lloyd,
so I wouldnt be able to collate a certificate number to a particular area then, other than the general area it was registered in.
Do you happen to know,.............if a woman lived as a married woman,using the mans surname , but never married...........would her death certificate HAVE to be in
her real name ? Or could it have been registered in the name that she had been using ?
a lot of questions for a Monday morning I know .
amanda
x

Amanda - the death certificate would be registered in whatever name was given to the registrar at the time. They did not ask prying questions. If you are looking for a particular one, try the 'married' name first, then the maiden name, but my guess was that she would be registered under the name she was known by, as probably very few people knew that they were not married.

hi Shortie,
Thats really a help. i just needed to know if they were required by law, but as you say- they werent. I will now be able to order the certificate then. Thankyou :eek:)
Amanda

Hi Amanda - are you ordering via the GRO or through Birmingham Register Office? I ask because although it is now slighly more expensive via local RO's, it might be worth your while paying that little bit extra. For Birmingham you can download a form and send it by post - but it does give you the opportunity to state all you know and that will mean you have much less chance of error. They phone you if there is any doubt. I personally prefer to do it this way and shall continue despite the 75p increase simply because I don't want to purchase wrong certificates.

Hi Shortie - I have been reading your reply to Amanda regarding GRO certificates etc. I live in the South West so it is difficult to get into Birmingham Register Office and I would be very interested in getting in touch with them to download a form which I could fill in. Particularly, as I am unsure of the correct details of a marriage certificate I want to get; there are two possibilites for this marriage date so it would be useful to deal with it in this way. Have you a web address or an e-mail address that I could contact please ?
KINS

Hi both Amanda and Kins

The form can be downloaded from the Birmingham Register Office site, BUT you have to send it by post, there is not an email service for ordering certificates. It costs £10 for your certificate (as opposed to £9.25 from the GRO) and a stamped addressed envelope should be enclosed. If you don't enclose it, they will still send the certificate if you pay by debit/credit card, as they can deduct the stamp cost from your card along with the certificate. You will also find that the Genealogist, John Yates, who is more than accommodating, has his email address on the site and also his telephone number.

Kins- if you put down the details of both certificates (either one or two forms) and enclose a short note saying you are unsure and giving all the details you have, they will do their best. They are very good at their jobs and do not like to send out certs they are not sure of - you may get a phone call if there is a discrepancy. Also it's worth noting that if you lived near there, you could go personally, but there is an extra charge if you want the certificate there and then - so you are almost better off living down where you do. They turn the certs around pretty quickly - although they say give a week, I have recently had a certificate within three days. I don't have the exact URL for the register office, but if you google Birmingham Register Office you will be able to find it easily. If you look to the left (I think!) of the site, where it says certificates and take it from there, you should find it all easily.

I will come back to look at this forum later tonight and if there are any problems you experience that I can help with, I shall do my best.

Cheers

Shortie

Hi Amanda, Shortie and Polypops; Firstly many thanks to you all for your help and tomorrow I will set about downloading the form and going ahead from there - it sounds as though they are very helpful and I must admit I would rather pay by cheque than card. Incidentally Amanda, I also lived in Harborne until I married !! Cheers for now - KINS

Back