• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Griffins Greengrocers, Mr Sparrow Newtown Row, Burlington Street

frankbck

proper brummie kid
Re: Detectives needed Griffins Greengrocers, Mr Sparrow Newtown Row, Burlington Stree

I know memory plays tricks as you get old, but does anyone remember the name Griffins being associated with the greengrocer on the flat on Lodge Rd Hockley? just in case Marcs family had more than one shop.
Just a thought, good luck Marc.
Frank

ps now memory is telling me they were Spencers, but the name Griffin is lurking in there somewhere.

Re: Detectives needed Griffins Greengrocers, Mr Sparrow Newtown Row, Burlington Stree

Just looked in Kellys directory for 1921 and theres a MISS ANNIE SPARROW - fruiterer listed at 176 Newtown Row.

Following the name Annie Sparrow have found that in 1911 William Sparrow (aged 42) and wife Selina (aged 38) were greengrocers at 61 Newtown Row, and their daughter Annie (aged 19) was with them.

in 1925 william and selina sparrow were living 77 Aston St. with their adopted son Richard Hol(l)yoak.
in 1930 william, selina and annie sparrow were living 920 Walsall rd. Perry Barr

looks like william sparrow died 1940 aged 72yrs and selina died 1936 aged 64yrs.

the name of spencers wasthe orinionl gren grocer on the flat before griffins then they moved on and the people of the last owners i just cannoy recall there name
did know them very well [ groomebridges ] johny [ i think it was and his parents was the last people on the flat i used to fetch the spuds for aunty winnie phelps in ford st
and i think you will find them [ the sparrows living down heath street winson green and i think the one daughter married into the draper family
whom i also knew very well and the drapers used to have a bg commercial fruit and veg in bearwoood rd birmngham way back in time
the daughter was also named annie ; abit of a character she was alwayswore a fur coat come what may even in the summer
one of the sparrows moved to a flat down by the q e hospital years ago i do not know whether these flats are still there and one of the the sparrows wifes works in the Q E hospital mental receptionish but yes it was spencers first on the scene at the fla of the greengrocers happpy new year for 2012 Astonian ;;;;

Griffin's had two shops, one run by Bill Griffin this was on the same side of the road as Blacks. The other on the corner of Burlington Street/Newtown Row was run by his brother Jack. We used these shops on an almost daily basis, when I was a child growing up during the war and just after when fruit and tomatoes were hard to get, the word would go round that Griffins had oranges, bananas, toms etc., my mother would send me down to join the queue until she could join me, in those days expectant mothers had a special ration book I think it may have been green and they would get priority. During these hard times at Christmas W.E. Griffin would have a supply of fresh turkeys and one of my older sisters and dad would queue sometimes all night to get one, and they always did. Old Mrs. Griffin their mother would serve in Bill's shop, she always wore a hat.

Sorry for the delay in replying everyone, I've been on my back the last few days with the worlds worst high octane Man Flu, I'm just starting to feel better.

Thank you so much for all of your replies, I'm humbled and amazed by everyones knowledge here. I'm still digesting most of the information and amazing photographs that you have supplied. I've related much of your comments to my elderly Mother and she's really excited.
When all my symptoms subside she wants me to write down her recollections of Newtown Row and the shopkeepers etc which I think would be a great addition to the forum. At 84 I'm sure she has plenty to add.
The last Image by mossg is exactly how she described the shop to me and something that's not seen in other images I have viewed. I haven't shown her the last image yet as I don't want her to contract whatever it is that I have.

I hope to reply to everyone soon enough along with my Mothers comments so once again a heartfelt thankyou to everyone who has replied so far.

Marc:biggrin:

Marc,sorry to hear you have been unwell.
It will be lovely to have your Mothers' input to the forum and as you say will be a great addition.

Isn't it brilliant the way that one thread posted can stir up so many memories amonst our members.

It's been a long time since I saw this thread and sadly my Mother passed a few years ago now and she is deeply missed.

Mum told me that that my Gran, Cassandra Whitton / Beeston had an affair with a Mr Sparrow and she believes that she was the end result as my Mothers other Sisters had a different Father which I suspect was a little scandalous to say the least 80 odd years ago.

My Mom was brought up with her Gran who old the coal yard and adjoining shop near to or in Burlington road. I've ben trying to find maps of the area to pinpoint the exact location.

Sadly due to illness my memory isn't brilliant and I forget some of what she told me, some of which I think I have posted previously.

So, in essence, Mr Sparrow could well have been my Grandfather.

In the 1930's there was a shop at 33 Burlington Street owned by a Mrs Kathleen Mary Stoker and next door at 35 was George Bishop coal dealer. could this be the location you are looking for?

hi marc to add to phils info on the previous post and you may already have seen these but here are 2 pics of griffins shops...the first one is on the corner of burlington st and the other one would i believe have been on the other side..

lyn

Attachments

• griffins.jpg
    griffins.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 18
  • griffins 2.jpg
    griffins 2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 19
I remember Stokers in Burlington Street it was on the right hand side of the alley that led into Barton Street, they were still there into the 1960s. I don't remember the coalyard being in use in my time, but there were big double doors to a yard so I presume that was it. This was to the left of the alley way.

Back