• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Greys Department Store

Further to the late Phil's post #141. The photograph shows a bomb crater on the pavement outside Grey's following an air raid on 25th October 1940 (sorry, just noticed that information was already on #139, to which #141 was a response).

Last edited:
Only just found this ,uncle Eric was Eric Middleton who was buyer for "Manchester" and Net Curtains on the 4th floor. As I recall there were 3 Aston brothers ,but because there was already a buyer with the name Aston (Cyril buyer on cotton dress fabrics)they had instore names Keith Ashley (buyer on woollen dress materials)Geoff Asher(married another member of staff Rita Ashford) and David .I worked for Keith and was in the same intake of trainees as Geoff.
I was a management trainee in 1966 and worked with Keith on Wollen fabrics for 3 months, I then transferred to Dress fabrics with Cyril Aston, I also worked for Eric Middleton on Manchester and Net department. By the time I managed Bedlinen, fancy linens and Towels Eric had been promoted to Floor controller on the first floor where my Departments were. If I remember rightly Keith and his brother Geoff left to run their own business. I remained with Debenhams for the next 20 years moving up the ranks until promoted Store Director running stores in Brighton, Southsea and eventually Croydon. Eric Middleton was instrumental in my development as a young trainee and kept me on the straight and narrow with his sage advice. I was saddened when I heard of his passing by the then Store Director Pat Wyatt. I think of Eric often, for without him I would have lost my job on at least one occasion. I am still in touch with Christine Druce ( now Foster) who Keith would remember I'm sure. Very fond memories of my time in the store.

I was a management trainee in 1966 and worked with Keith on Wollen fabrics for 3 months, I then transferred to Dress fabrics with Cyril Aston, I also worked for Eric Middleton on Manchester and Net department. By the time I managed Bedlinen, fancy linens and Towels Eric had been promoted to Floor controller on the first floor where my Departments were. If I remember rightly Keith and his brother Geoff left to run their own business. I remained with Debenhams for the next 20 years moving up the ranks until promoted Store Director running stores in Brighton, Southsea and eventually Croydon. Eric Middleton was instrumental in my development as a young trainee and kept me on the straight and narrow with his sage advice. I was saddened when I heard of his passing by the then Store Director Pat Wyatt. I think of Eric often, for without him I would have lost my job on at least one occasion. I am still in touch with Christine Druce ( now Foster) who Keith would remember I'm sure. Very fond memories of my time in the store.
Welcome to The Forum Graham! A wonderful story, thank you!

Wow! I haven't signed in for sometime and cant resist adding my thoughts about Greys store. In the 1950's mum used to take me to their sales. She would 'rummage' while I told to 'hang on' to the back of her coat. She purchased gloves, scarves and I am sure many more bargains. Lewis's was another of her favourites. The old lifts with bell boys and the wooden escalators were a dream to a child. (just like the TV program 'are you being served'....wow how old am I?

Wow! I haven't signed in for sometime and cant resist adding my thoughts about Greys store. In the 1950's mum used to take me to their sales. She would 'rummage' while I told to 'hang on' to the back of her coat. She purchased gloves, scarves and I am sure many more bargains. Lewis's was another of her favourites. The old lifts with bell boys and the wooden escalators were a dream to a child. (just like the TV program 'are you being served'....wow how old am I?
Just a youngster Barbara, like we all are at heart! ;)

Back