• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Greyhound Racing

I think a lot of the cockney slang was shortened. For example Barnet (Fair) for hair, or even doubled up, and this should get me banned...

Aristotle...Bottle....Bottle and glass....????....nice bottle!

Pedrocut slightly digressing , one of the great things about living in Aston between 1976-1996 was I used The Paddock public house , where a friend of mine used to give me complimentary tickets for Perry Barr Greyhound on Saturday night , it was a great night out

A good night out, and children really enjoy it. Unfortunately many tracks have now closed and most of those left are under the control of the large bookmakers and run for off track markets. Probably a race every 10 minutes from 1000am to 10pm.

Still, the meetings during the day are free to enter and you can take the kids.

Hello Pedrocut - Thanks for finding those pictures - that's brought back a few memories. I think that I recognise a couple of people from the March 1979 photo - on the left I think the small man might be Trainer Brian Jay with parader Sandra Whitehead but the 1978 picture I don't recognise anyone I'm afraid. Do you have any more?

Regarding Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium - the old Birchfield Road stadium - I cam across an old picture of inside the stadium - this brought back some memories of my time there from late 70's to early 80's when I was a parader.

Attachments

• Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium 1980s.jpg
    Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium 1980s.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 23
Round the time of the opening of Tamworth there were a load of tracks within reasonable distance from Birmingham. Perry Barr, Hall Green, King’s Heath, Willenhall, Monmore, Cradley Heath, Norton Canes and May be others.

Now just Perry Barr and Monmore, with many closed across the country.

It's such a shame that so many stadiums have closed. I remember when they closed Perry Barr - I was there for the last night and I went home and cried - it was like a big chapter of my life had come to an end. Still, lots of happy memories to look back on.

Back