• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grestone School Handsworth Wood

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
British History Online tells us this about the schools

“GRESTONE COUNTY INFANTS' SCHOOL, Grestone Avenue, Handsworth Wood. Opened 1955 by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 1961: 8 classrooms, hall

GRESTONE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Grestone Avenue. Opened 1953 by Birm. C.B.C. for JI. Grestone (Temporary) Cty. Primary Sch. closed when it opened. Accom. 1961: 10 classrooms, hall.

GRESTONE (TEMPORARY) COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Somerset Road.Opened 1950 by Birm. C.B.C. in Somerset Rd. Methodist Church Hall, accom. 3 classes I. Additional accom. in church hall used from 1951. Closed on opening of permanent buildings 1953: see Grestone Cty. Primary Sch”

An end of term treat for pupils in July 1985: a trip on the Canal. Viv.
C139F9B2-A926-4D40-AC5A-BF2C27BFD626.jpeg

Anyone on here who went to Grestone Primary school between 1971/2 to 1974 or remember the names of Andrew Woodhall who lived in Beechglade or a Martin Evans Hampstead Road

British History Online tells us this about the schools

“GRESTONE COUNTY INFANTS' SCHOOL, Grestone Avenue, Handsworth Wood. Opened 1955 by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 1961: 8 classrooms, hall

GRESTONE COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Grestone Avenue. Opened 1953 by Birm. C.B.C. for JI. Grestone (Temporary) Cty. Primary Sch. closed when it opened. Accom. 1961: 10 classrooms, hall.

GRESTONE (TEMPORARY) COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Somerset Road.Opened 1950 by Birm. C.B.C. in Somerset Rd. Methodist Church Hall, accom. 3 classes I. Additional accom. in church hall used from 1951. Closed on opening of permanent buildings 1953: see Grestone Cty. Primary Sch”

An end of term treat for pupils in July 1985: a trip on the Canal. Viv.
View attachment 156907
I have a couple of pictures of Grestone ave school as my Dad was the head teacher there from about 1968 to 85. The Head teacher that took over from him when he retired was prosecuted for being a paedofile which greatly upset my dad. If anyone is interested I will post the pics. One is a general shot of the school and the other an ariel photo

I have a couple of pictures of Grestone ave school as my Dad was the head teacher there from about 1968 to 85. The Head teacher that took over from him when he retired was prosecuted for being a paedofile which greatly upset my dad. If anyone is interested I will post the pics. One is a general shot of the school and the other an ariel photo
Thomas I would be grateful if you could post the pictures of Grestone School. I attended between 1972 to 1974 and went on to Lordswood. Also what was the name of the Head Teacher my parents would probably have met him. Thanks in advance.

Thomas I would be grateful if you could post the pictures of Grestone School. I attended between 1972 to 1974 and went on to Lordswood. Also what was the name of the Head Teacher my parents would probably have met him. Thanks in advance.
Will do but will have to sort them out again now as have all been stored. His name was Lawrence Poole

I went to Grestone juniors from around 86-1990. There was a miserable dinner lady called Mrs Satchwell.
The head teacher was called John Stachan - i heard years later that he was prosecuted for indecent behavior with the kids. I remember at the time he always had little boys come up and stand inext to him in assembly and ruffle their hair. I always thought then there was so thug that didn’t sit right about him - seems my instincts were right even as a child!!

I just found this Site . I started at Grestone when it opened in 1953 and left in 1957 to go to Handsworth Grammar School
The first school football team was in season 1956 /1957 . Very happy memories of many friends and excellent teachers

Back