• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gregory - Ickneld Street, 8 Gt Western Terrace - 1881 Census

Stephen_Gould

Brummie babby
Does anyone recall a Gt Western Terrace, in the 1881 Census Alfred Gregory (my Great Grandfather) and family are listed at Ickneld Street, 8 Gt Western Terrace. It has obviously disappeared now but would be interested if anyone knows where it was and if there are any pictures/maps of it.
Regards
Stephen Gould

It was close to the junction of Icknield Street and Hingeston Street. The red cross marks Hingeston Street as I could not show the name clearly. Green dot was number 8
1627992626329.png

It was close to the junction of Icknield Street and Hingeston Street. The red cross marks Hingeston Street as I could not show the name clearly. Green dot was number 8
View attachment 159965
We also lived in Great Western Terrace no10 the back of 209 from 1960 to1970 aprox, not sure how the numbering worked if you are no 8 our house was the last house bottom line before the centre yard wash house's and toilets the plan is a bit misleading when you entered the yard from icknield street no 2 was the shop and then numbered down to number 10 then the numbers carried on pass the wash house's the first houses shown on both sides of the yard as you entered are in fact two building on each side one being the tobacconist can't remember what the other shop was but seem to remember a chip shop?.

Thank you to Caveman and especially to pjmburns!
Can anyone explain how the "back of" worked. If, for example no 8, was back of 209 as shown in pjmburns' second image, how did one access no 8, which face was the front, which the back, in the image was the small box with 8/209 written in it the house or the back yard. How many rooms did each house have.
This is a wonderful resource to get a feel for where my family lived, thanks.
Steve

Cavemans' photograph is excellent and answers some of my questions, thanks.
SO the image shows 209 as his tobacconist, the numbers on the plan are the actual 2 storey houses, with a yard at the front.

You can clearly see 12, 11, 10, the middle section (toilets/washhouse?) and then 9 and so on. Number 10 (and 9) seem to have its edging stones painted white.

You can clearly see 12, 11, 10, the middle section (toilets/washhouse?) and then 9 and so on. Number 10 (and 9) seem to have its edging stones painted white.
The houses was painted white around the windows once we moved out I assume to show empty and ready to bulldoze, the washhouse was the centre recessed building to the left the toilets were on the opposite side of the centre court yard..

Can anyone explain how the "back of" worked. If, for example no 8, was back of 209 as shown in pjmburns' second image, how did one access no 8, which face was the front, which the back, in the image was the small box with 8/209 written in it the house or the back yard. How many rooms did each house have.
Steve
The houses faced each other with small gardens to the front my mom used to seed flowers every summer with my help we lived at number 10 which was 10 the back of 209.

Steve
One living room with coal fires, smallish kitchen stairs to 2 bedrooms if I remember for our house, a tin bath no toilet and as ours was a back to back there was no rear windows, but I loved every minute and will never forget these times, lovely friendly people who helped each other from my experience.

Last edited:
Great western railway Hockley station 1960s
Me on my 3 wheel red bike aprox 1963. entrance to great western terrace.

Attachments

• station (2).jpg
    station (2).jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Icknield-Street-1.jpg
    Icknield-Street-1.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back