• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gregory family

fellowkev

master brummie
Hi,
I am researching my great grandfather James Gregory, engine driver, born about 1837, (his wife was Sarah Reeves)
James was born in Birmingham, but I cannot find a listing in the BMD (I tried David James, etc).
I cannot find a probable census listing previous to 1871, either (he married Sarah in late 1861).
On James' marriage certificate, his father is denoted as John Gregory, a police officer, living in Swallow street.
No John can be found that is probable, and certainly no police officer. A search down Swallow street in 1861 and 1871 yielded nothing.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Oh, James' and Sarah's children were: Matilda b1862, Rebecca 1864, Sarah 1865, David James 1867, Rosannah 1869, Harry 1871, Albert 1876, and John 1879.
They lived mainly at 11 Spring Hill Passage, Birmingham

Last edited:
1871 Holland Street,Birmingham St Pauls
James Gregory age 33 Steel pen finisher
Sarah age 29
Matilda 9
Rebecca 7
Sarah 6
James 4
Rosanna 2
Harry 10 months
Rosanna Humphries 57 widow motherin law.

1851 Lionel Street Birmingham St Pauls
George humphries age 32 House painter
Rose 34
George 10
Sarah 10
Emma 8
Matilda 6

Rosanna Reeves married George Humphries 1850 All Saints

Sarah Reeves born 24th May 1841,baptised 1843 St Phillips,daughter of David/Rosanna
David Reeves married Rosanna Powell, All Saints 1836

Thank you Alberta for taking the time to dig into this. Facinating, this detective work, isn't it? :)

All the best from sunny Michigan

Back