• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Greet Primary School

KDGreet

Hi everyone,
I'm a teacher at Greet and I'm hoping to start a History project with the children looking at how the school has changed over time. If you have any photos, stories or anecdotes to share, please let me know.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi KDGreet & welcome,if you search top right for " Greet primary school",there is quite a bit of information on the forum already,i left there in 1959 so a lot has changed since then.
good luck
Ogri

Thanks. Wow, it really has changed since 1959- there have been a multitude of changes in the 15 years I've worked there! I've had a look at some of the information already on here, I'm keen to know more as the history of the school and surrounding area is really interesting. Do you have anything from your time there? We have the original "punishment books" which make for interesting reading!

Thanks. Wow, it really has changed since 1959- there have been a multitude of changes in the 15 years I've worked there! I've had a look at some of the information already on here, I'm keen to know more as the history of the school and surrounding area is really interesting. Do you have anything from your time there? We have the original "punishment books" which make for interesting reading!
Hi there
I attended Greet school from 1967-1973
In my last year there I went on my first foreign holiday and it was the best school trip ever, we went on a two week cruise of the Mediterranean and it cost my parents a whole £77 Which was a lot in those days.
I can’t really remember the teachers names but
The headmaster was Mr Carroll and the caretaker was Mr Painter and I think you may find my name a few times in those punishment books.

KDGreet : this response is probably too late for your history project, but ....
I went to Greet School 1960-67. I lived in Thornhill Road, at the other end of Percy Road.
The headteacher was Mr Baynes for most of that time, but Mr Carroll took over c1967.

Here's a few photos ....

#1 Aerial view 1935 (Credit English Heritage) : the nextdoor building on Percy Road was an old Mission Hall where we ate school dinners, that were also cooked there. The school site was much smaller than it is now.Greet School June 1935 (2).jpg

#2 School Cricket Team 1967 : Headteacher Tom Carroll wearing glasses.Greet Cricket Team 1967.jpg

#3 Mr Harbird's Class 1963
Greet Primary School (Mr Harbird's top class) 1963.jpg

#4 May Queen c1960
Greet School (May Queen) c1960.jpg

#5 Sports Day 1961
Greet Primary School Sports Day 1961.jpg

#6 Attendance Certificate 1907
Greet School Certificate 1907.jpg

My mother, Lilian Powers, attended Greet School from 1912 to 1918. The attached picture is of her class from around 1915. (She is front row, third from left). She always told me that the girls on the front row were there because they had shoes or boots, many of the other children didn't. (She was was a working family but had two older sisters working in armaments and they spoiled her, hence the fancy boots). The teachers name is Miss Mason. When she was in her late 80's, Mom was asked to visit the school on a couple of occasions to talk to the pupils about school life in the 1910s which they found fascinating despite sounding a little horrific. Mom died in 2011 at the age of 103.

I followed her to Greet School in 1949 (nursery), I remember class 3 with Miss Meadows 1953/4, a strict Victorian style but a brilliant teacher. From there to Class 1 in 1954/5 where Mr Carroll was then a teacher. Again, a brilliant but strict teacher who I remember teaching us Irish Dancing.

One other memory, although I was never in his class, class 2 was the province of Mr Dingley. He wore glasses and could see reflections of the class whilst he was writing at the board. Seeing any bad behaviour, he would swing around from the board and aim his solid wood board rubber at the offender and was an excellent shot. You could see the offenders for the rest of the day sporting a chalk oblong on their clothes.
David Law.
Greet School Class 4 1915-16.jpg

Last edited:
It's interesting that the 1915 class photo shows about 50 girls, and no boys. I wonder if children were divided into single-sex classes then ?

I have a (not brilliant) picture of the nursery class from around 1911 in which there are both boys and girls but they are separated. Mom never mentioned having been in class with boys. Certainly when I attended in 1949, classes were mixed, but each year had two classes then, I seem to remember based on 'ability'.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I'm a teacher at Greet and I'm hoping to start a History project with the children looking at how the school has changed over time. If you have any photos, stories or anecdotes to share, please let me know.
Many thanks.
Hi KDGreet, I attended the school between 1962 - 1968 and have nothing but very fond memories of my time at Greet. I have two Certificates of Regular Attendance (found them on eBay) the same as that pictured in image number 6 above. I would like to donate them to the school, so if you would like them, drop me a line and I will post them to you (I live in Devon). Best wishes.

Hi there
I can throw some other teachers names into the mix here for Greet. Although I have to say my time at the school was a not an enjoyable experience! Around 1968-1970.
They say you never forget a good teacher unfortunately the first couple of these ‘educationalists’ don’t fall into that category for me Yes Mr Carol was the head whilst I attended with Miss Reynolds as his deputy head, (whom he guarded very loyally), and my teacher for a while.
Nicest teacher was Miss Lines (I got transferred to her as the former obviously had a problem with me).
I also recall Mr Burgoyne, who I think did art and PE?
I recall a really good friend I made from those days who I sadly lost touch with after we went to different secondary schools Lloyd Simpson, he lived very close to Greet, Fearnley Rd I think? (I do hope he went on to great things as I remember him as a great friend and lovely lad).

Brummie Geoff also mentioned Astros (UB40), brother Alvin who I knew for many years until he joined the army and went on to very great exciting things in the police etc which I’m sure he wouldn’t want me to elaborate on. I was spending some time in Spain when I sadly heard that Astro (Terry), had died.
I remember many pupils names as they were very supportive to me in those days.
So at the age of 62 now and looking back a big thank you to those who helped me get through those formative years (yes even only 8 years old), even though you probably didn’t realise at the time!
Lloyd, Zilcarnian, Linda, Serise, Silvanus, Ian, Coral, Steven, Amrit, and of course the wonderful Gillian Chadwick.

I have a (not brilliant) picture of the nursery class from around 1911 in which there are both boys and girls but they are separated. Mom never mentioned having been in class with boys. Certainly when I attended in 1949, classes were mixed, but each year had two classes then, I seem to remember based on 'ability'.
I attended from 1949 to1955. Attached photo of children and mothers prior to coach trip, usually Welsh coast or Drayton Manor Park.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    970.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi KDGreet & welcome,if you search top right for " Greet primary school",there is quite a bit of information on the forum already,i left there in 1959 so a lot has changed since then.
good luck
Ogri
Hope you don't mind asking...I am a teacher at a secondary school and our pupils have all picked projects they want to do... one has picked up research Greet Primary. Could I send you some questions they have about what it was like when you were there? Kind regards, John

Hi everyone, I am a secondary history teacher in Birmingham. Our pupils are working on History projects about their local history and one wants to look at Greet Primary as they went there. They have got lots on information so far but wondered if anyone would be willing to answer some questions they have about what the school was like when they went there. All the very best, John

Hope you don't mind asking...I am a teacher at a secondary school and our pupils have all picked projects they want to do... one has picked up research Greet Primary. Could I send you some questions they have about what it was like when you were there? Kind regards, John
Hi JLW , although its been close to 70 years if i can be of any help i'm happy to help.

Back