• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Greenmore College

B

BillSpud

Hi this is my first post.
Congratulations on the site. You have some really nice and interesting people here - of course Brummies are always like that.
My family owned the cafe / restaurant at the top of Chain Walk (#1). My sisters Louise, Janet and Penelope and I all went to Greenmore College (I think before it was Broughton House) up on Handsworth Road. I remember Handsworth Park well too and the bandstand and tennis courts. I think Greenmore closed
Later went to Deykin Avenue and enjoyed it there. I had some great friends and remember quite a few people even though its quite a while ago (I was born 1942). People like Dave (Dabber) Williams, Bob Willington, Jeff Bird (died in motorbike accident), Tommy Barrett, David Pugh, and many others.
Teacher were great there Alan Emery, Jack Watkins, Mr. Steadman (we lived in fear of the cane from him), Miss Mason, Miss Train (a blonde bombshell who learned a lot in her first year with us) Mr Gardiner was the Headmaster in my last years year.
Thanks for all the happy memories of Brum, I want to bring my wife and son back there in the next year or two as they have not had a chance to visit yet.
Best
Bill Taylor

A good memory of Greenmore College was that the sportsmaster was Gil Merrick the B'ham and England goalkeeper.

I remember he was the last one term to fill in his comment as to each child and he wrote the same for everyone "Tries hard" Unfortunately he spelt it "Try's hard" and they all had to be done again!

My Cousin Kevin Bablewski went to Greenmore College, the imigrated to Canada then on to California in the late 50's early 60's.

And here are two of Greenmore College, May 1932, also with Bobbie Poole at the back. I don't know anything more about Greenmore College, but I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who does. I can provide high-resolution copies if anyone wants a closer look.
1932GreenmoreCollege-Bobby PooleBackLeft.jpg

Attachments

• 1932GreenmoreCollegeBham1-Bobbyback7thfromleft.jpg
    1932GreenmoreCollegeBham1-Bobbyback7thfromleft.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Can see them now Robert. Lovely pictures, but I'm afraid I know nothing about Greenmore College myself. Hope some other forum member will be able to help.

Judy

My mum went to Greenmore College; it doesn't exist any more but there is a website with lots of information.

https://www.greenmore.co.uk/

Paul

And here are two of Greenmore College, May 1932, also with Bobbie Poole at the back. I don't know anything more about Greenmore College, but I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who does. I can provide high-resolution copies if anyone wants a closer look.

I went to Greenmore College in the 1950s, 1957 I think. It was on Hampstead Road and the old school photo I have says it was also called Broughton House School. I remember we used to be given warm milk at morning break!! Hated it then and still do. Remember the teachers wore gowns and very small classes. Left and went to Cherry Orchard Infant & Junior School when we moved house.

Greenmore was I believe close to the County Ground unless there were two of them.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Greenmore College on Hampstead Road was on the same side as Handsworth Park a little further up the hill towards Villa Road etc. I was 5 when I went there and I believe this was the infants and junior site. I had a photo of myself and a school friend taken by the local paper one snowy morning outside Handsworth Park warming our hands over a workman's brazier on our way to school.

So we do have two Greenmore Colleges - one in Edgbaston and another in Hampstead Road. Best to make clear which one is referenced in posts I feel.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Greenmore College was a private sceondary school. Although for many years, the college was on Priory Road between the Pershore Road and the Bristol Road (Where Odell Place is now) from wartime onwards, it was originally in Union Street, just off High Street and next door to Montague Burtons (According to Kelly's Guide 1940). My father went to the school until 1930, before walking out on his 14th birthday. Has anyone any information, school photos etc (Particularly from the late 1920s), please?

Patrick

View attachment 85813
Greenmore College was a private sceondary school. Although for many years, the college was on Priory Road between the Pershore Road and the Bristol Road (Where Odell Place is now) from wartime onwards, it was originally in Union Street, just off High Street and next door to Montague Burtons (According to Kelly's Guide 1940). My father went to the school until 1930, before walking out on his 14th birthday. Has anyone any information, school photos etc (Particularly from the late 1920s), please?

Patrick
Hi, Patrick.
I was looking through some of my Dad's old papers, and found a certificate from the College of Preceptors: it was an for an examination written by him, at Greenmore College Ltd. in 1935, when he was 15.
The Dean was a Mr. Herbert Ward.

I looked op the College of Preceptors and found that it had been established in 1846 and had changed its name to the College of Teachers in 1998.

First football lesson - in blazers ? Only one boy looks suitably dressed. A lesson with Gil Merrill - the boys must have been in awe - and paying full attention! Viv.

68C66442-B1DD-47C0-B02A-71093B11DE59.jpeg

Back