• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Green Grocers On Great Hampton Row Hockley

Rob Derry

master brummie
My great aunty Rose had a green grocers shop in the 1930s on Great Hampton Row which she ran with her husband Percy Phillips. Would be great if there were a photo of it out there somewhere!

Cannot find a greengrocers in Great Hampton Row named Phillips in 1932, 36 or 38. Possibly they traded under another name

It could have been earlier they moved to Nechells at some point too. Her maiden name was Jones and she was 1st married to Arthur Johnson who died in the 20s then to Percival Leonard Phillips. We think it was situated opposite the Vaults pub.

Cannot find a Jones greengrocer in the street either, going back to pre WW1. I take it you mean the Minerva Vaults. There seems to just be a factory listed there directly opposite from WW1 on, and no greengrocer immediately before.

It seems that it was in the St. George's place area but in great Hampton row ... my aunt remembers it being close to the end of unett street near St. George's school which they attended in the 1940s. So probably wasn't up and running until the 1930s.

Cannot find a Jones greengrocer in the street either, going back to pre WW1. I take it you mean the Minerva Vaults. There seems to just be a factory listed there directly opposite from WW1 on, and no greengrocer immediately before.
Sorry no the pub St. George's vaults

there is photo of line of shops next to st georges place on the gt hampton row thread...also a photo of st georges vaults pub but not sure what thread that is under..if you use the search engine it should come up

I saw the pub one but couldn't see any shops in the great Hampton row pic ... is there another pic?

1940 Kelly's lists Mrs Rose Lilian Phillips as a greengrocer at 52 Great Hampton Row. In 1932 a Mrs Rose Lilian Phillips is listed as running dining rooms at 17 Howard Street. In 1935 and 1939 Rose and Percival are on the e roll at 16 Howard Street. In 1945 Percival and Rose (with Frederick and Emily Rodney) are on the e roll at 52 Great Hampton Row.

Last edited:
yes thats the thread pen...post 3 shows the row of shops..far right of it you can just see some trees which would be in st georges churchyard and on the left of the pic you can see the name plate saying st georges place...

lyn

1940 Kelly's lists Mrs Rose Lilian Phillips as a greengrocer at 52 Great Hampton Row. In 1932 a Mrs Rose Lilian Phillips is listed as running dining rooms at 17 Howard Street. In 1935 and 1939 Rose and Percival are on the e roll at 16 Howard Street. In 1945 Percival and Rose (with Frederick and Emily Rodney) are on the e roll at 52 Great Hampton Row.
That's brilliant thanks my aunty rose and uncle percy :)

janice does the numbering run up in ones or twos for gt hampton row..just doing a bit of detective work:D

lyn

janice does the numbering run up in ones or twos for gt hampton row..just doing a bit of detective work:D

lyn
Lyn - I am not sure. I think it is in ones. In 1940 Kelly's it has "St George's Church then St George's Place" then 50 & 51 Coward and Hunt rope and twine manufacturers then 52 Rose Phillips. I hope Mike might have a map.

thanks janice i am hoping they go up in ones..i have messaged mike and asked him to send me a map showing number 52...i also have a pic of coward and hunt but really need a map first..

lyn

Last edited:
my great aunt rose was a full time greengrocer part time soprano (see attached from xmas eve 1929)

Attachments

• rose phillips.jpeg
    rose phillips.jpeg
    663.3 KB · Views: 8
ok rob thats great..please let us know

lyn
My aunt isn't sure - she says it was next to Capewells butchers and a paper shop. Possibly this picture is later (maybe the 60s) but it would be interesting if Capewells could be located to be sure.

Ah. In the 1936 & 1939 Kellys. Harry Capewell , butcher, was at 120 Hampton St. Next door at 119 was a green grocer, Thomas Harris,at 118 was a china and glass dealer, and at 117 was a newsagent, lilian hudson. The position of 120 and 117 are respectively in red and blue on map. there is no other Capewell butcher in those years. the pub almost opposite on t hecorner is the Birmingham Arms.

map c 1937 showing 120 Hampton st.jpg

hi rob...right here is a map showing no 52 gt hampton row and also the photo which i think must show it...if i am correct the shop would be 3 from the right of the photo...maybe a kellys look up for capewells butchers during the 30s would firm it up..or not as the case may be..this photo was taken well after your aunt was there..compere the map to the photo and you can clearly see an entry after the first shop on the right corner as shown on the map..st georges place shown on the left of the map and also on the left of the photo which includes the name plate on the wall above the advertisment hoarding..also the trees of st georges church gardens can just been seen on the photo as marked on the map

lyn

gt hampton row no 52.jpg gt hampton row 3.jpg

Last edited:
Ah. In the 1936 & 1939 Kellys. Harry Capewell , butcher, was at 120 Hampton St. Next door at 119 was a green grocer, Thomas Harris,at 118 was a china and glass dealer, and at 117 was a newsagent, lilian hudson. The position of 120 and 117 are respectively in red and blue on map. there is no other Capewell butcher in those years. the pub almost opposite on t hecorner is the Birmingham Arms.

View attachment 114802
I don't suppose it gives s name for the green grocers does it? It's strange as my aunt is definitely registered at 52 GHR but this is the shop my aunt remembers i.e. Next to the butchers

The butcher was thomas Harris in 1936 & 1939. It was James Longford in 1932 and Emily Louisa Harris in 1940

I note the ghost sign: Gold Flake.

On the map, (post 23 by Astoness) I wonder what the date of it is? There are three separate places named Enfield Works.
I also notice four areas listed as ruins?

i see quite a few ruins on maps alan...if the maps are dated after the war they could well be bomb damage areas or i guess just simply demolished buildings...never really clear on that one

lyn

Here we are - 1945 e roll lists Harry Capewell at 54 Great Hampton Row.

Attachments

• Gt H Row.JPG
    Gt H Row.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 12
Back