• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Tindal Street Ladywood

Hi nimrod 1947... well well so your family to the Slaneys.. I knew Patrick Slaney.. not sure maybe his sister was called diane.. there was a little shop beside them and Wrensons on the corner.. they lived over the road from the familys called Harrisons and Flemings..the last i heard Patrick was seen in the blackhorse pub up northfield..are you in touch with them still...would love to hear about them all... stay safe and stay alert my friend from Bushbaby.
Hi Bushbaby, sorry to say Patrick died some time ago. he had two sisters, Pearl and Tina. He married a Marion Bannister who is also sadly gone. I used to stay with the Slaneys at weekends and I remember the Harrisons quite well and knew of the Flemings. Patrick was living in Northfield but was staying with his sister Pearl when he died.
Thanks for the message anything you need to know about the Slaneys just ask. Regards Nimrod 1947

Was there a Mortuary in Gt Tindal Street.
In the 60s I worked with a girl who lived there and she always said she lived next door to a Mortuary.
She used to tell us frightening tales of ghostly happenings,most of them 'porkies' LOL.
Hi if you did ever get further details to the question you presented please let me know the exact location of this previous mortuary .
Thank you

Thank you Maurice for your reply and a Richard for your kind welcome. I do not know much about the area as I have never been there, I live in Suffolk. After reading through the posts I gather most areas completely changed but fascinating to read all your comments. I know many of my relatives lived in the area from my search on ancestry and vague memory of family conversation. Collette house (I think) ladywood road and 103 7 back great tindal street are names I remember hearing and have found. The surname was Parkin, Hart and Coffey (the mystery of names could go deeper) could have lived there before 1950’s. If anyone remembers those surnames would love to hear from you
Hi was wondering if someone could please clarify, where the new apartments are built , the first ones coming off browning street. Can someone please tell me the history of what was there before the new development
Thank you

Hi was wondering if someone could please clarify, where the new apartments are built , the first ones coming off browning street. Can someone please tell me the history of what was there before the new development
Thank you
They are known as King Edwards wharf apartments . There is a car park,but I need to know the area just before the car park starts.
Thanks

Last edited:
First of all Nichola, I think that all the Great Tindal Street pics are on this thread. You could also try Mac Joseph's Old Ladywood site here:- http://www.oldladywood.co.uk/gttindalstreet.htm

Meem, my father lived at 120, but that was in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Much of Ladywood has now been erased and some streets don't even exist.

Maurice :cool:
Morning Maurice, those are great photos! Do you have contact details of Mac Joesph? Would love to use the photos on our social media (We are Sign & Screenprint Supplies at Unit 1, 55 )

Alan
I always try and label the date of maps on the file , even if I do not remember to mention it in the text. If you save the map it is saved as c1918, which is how it is listed on the map site. However Richard Oliver's book on OS maps states that the 2nd revision of the maps in the Birmingham area was 1913.
hi Mikejee, thanks for your valuable contribution to information posted , it has been of most interest on some history of the area i live in. I was wondering if you would be kind enough to share information , that is if you have any including maps of the now Browning Street off Gr.Tindle Street, particular to the new development king Edwards wharf. This is the first development where the public phone box is located, basically the crossroads. If your able to, you may PM on [email protected] i do have further questions to ask, and can only gain the information of who has perhaps resided in the area, and knows it thoroughly. Thanks

Shaz
I am afraid I am not the best person to answer questions on the subject. I was never very familiar with the area, though there are likely to be others on the forum who could help you. However I can provide you with a couple of maps of Browning st, one c1955, the other c 1889, when it was named Tindall St

map c1955 Browning st.jpgmap c1889 Tindall st.jpg

Just come across the posts about Gt Tindal Street and saw the picture of the car by a lamp post. Fascinating to see because it was my Uncle Arthurs Slaneys car. They lived at 134 Gt Tindal St and I used to spend most of my weekends there. Think my parents were glad to get rid of me. I'm sure I wasn't that bad a child. Can't remember, that's my excuse and I am sticking to it. The car was an old Austin Princess, no idea of what year. I was impressed by it very posh it seemed to me. 134 is the house to the right of the entry in the picture.
Hi nimrod 1947..
Well well so you must be PATRICK SLANEYS cousin and his sister DIANE..?
I knew exactly where they lived ..was in their house many a time..
I would love to know whereabouts he is now .. someone told me years ago he saw him drinking at the black horse in Northfield.. .they lived over the road from the Fleming's and Harrison's... if you see him let him know people remember him and family.. ie..cunningham and Sheridan.. take care and stay safe..

Hi Bushbaby, sorry to say Patrick died some time ago. he had two sisters, Pearl and Tina. He married a Marion Bannister who is also sadly gone. I used to stay with the Slaneys at weekends and I remember the Harrisons quite well and knew of the Flemings. Patrick was living in Northfield but was staying with his sister Pearl when he died.
Thanks for the message anything you need to know about the Slaneys just ask. Regards Nimrod 1947
Oh my goodness Nimrod 1947... I have not been on here for ages..and saw your original post again..and because I never heard from you well I have just about 20mins ago sent near enough the same message again.. then carried on reading other things..and then I saw your reply from last year.. and it saddened me to know Patrick had passed away..and now that I have seen the girls names I remembered it was Pearl that I know..i think the other sister was older.. but again I'm so sad to hear about Patrick.. and annoyed with myself that I never went to the pub to see if by chance I met him...and worse still my sister's had the breaches pub and I was often there..not far at all... many many thanks for letting me know... and the last time I saw Patrick Fleming was at my brothers funeral (Patrick Sheridan)1987..he was only 33yrs old... bye for.now nimrod

Oh my goodness Nimrod 1947... I have not been on here for ages..and saw your original post again..and because I never heard from you well I have just about 20mins ago sent near enough the same message again.. then carried on reading other things..and then I saw your reply from last year.. and it saddened me to know Patrick had passed away..and now that I have seen the girls names I remembered it was Pearl that I know..i think the other sister was older.. but again I'm so sad to hear about Patrick.. and annoyed with myself that I never went to the pub to see if by chance I met him...and worse still my sister's had the breaches pub and I was often there..not far at all... many many thanks for letting me know... and the last time I saw Patrick Fleming was at my brothers funeral (Patrick Sheridan)1987..he was only 33yrs old... bye for.now nimrod
Hi Bushbaby, Sad to say Patrick is gone but so are his parents Arthur Slaney and Patricia Slaney. The younger sister to Pearl was Tina, born Millicent, and there were two brothers apart from Patrick. They were Arthur (Archie) and Paul and all are still going strong as far as I know. The family moved up to Longnuke Road because of the clearance around Ladywood. Patty and Arthur moved to Frankley after that.
I'm not sure where Patrick was living but Marion appears on electoral rolls in Trescott Road Northfield, forgotten what year.
Hope this info helps and any other information you need please ask. regards Nimrod47

Lyn,

It is just possible, and I am far from sure, that the buildings on the right of your second photo in post #29 might include part of Victoria Buildings. I think that the pub in the first picture must be further down the street.

There's also a possibility with this pic, which is the top one in Astonian's group in post #11 that I have tarted up a bit. But what is puzzling me is the demolished building on the right. Nothing on BARRA for this street but a bomb dropped on 425 Monument Road. Not a very clear picture, but the other houses appear to be inhabited, which would suggest bomb damage rather than 1960s demolition. I don't know whether the Forum car experts can date the picture from the first car. :)

Maurice
View attachment 129075

Lyn,

It is just possible, and I am far from sure, that the buildings on the right of your second photo in post #29 might include part of Victoria Buildings. I think that the pub in the first picture must be further down the street.

There's also a possibility with this pic, which is the top one in Astonian's group in post #11 that I have tarted up a bit. But what is puzzling me is the demolished building on the right. Nothing on BARRA for this street but a bomb dropped on 425 Monument Road. Not a very clear picture, but the other houses appear to be inhabited, which would suggest bomb damage rather than 1960s demolition. I don't know whether the Forum car experts can date the picture from the first car. :)

Maurice
View attachment 129075
Hi people..PLEASE let me put this straight as regards this picture.. and that is IT WAS NOT BOMBED.. IT WAS DEMOLISHED... that is the top end of Great Tindal St and Monument rd...I lived in Gt tindal st..and where that building before demolished a family called Slaney lived and beside them was a little shop/house then we meet WRENSONS on the corner where it joins Monument rd next to wrensons onto Monument rd was a lovely cake shop with glass doors then a few more shops.. now all that was demolished as you see in the picture..across the road from wrensons was the pub THE STOUR VALLEY HOTEL..but just known as the pub.. and Maurice scipio if you see this picture your 120 Victoria building was just about the end of the second car going down next to the Advance factory your family house 120was about 3or 4 doors away from the Advance.. I lived in the opening across the road 121..
Then at the other end of Gt tindal st were it met LEDSAM ST, on the corner was the pub The Mount Pleasant... and let me say when all those houses were demolished we still lived in ours and could see everything across Monument rd..we called it The Ponderosa.. then we left 62.. so yes I know Gt tindal st.. OK everyone hope you understood all what I was on about.. by for now..I was BUSHBABY but could not get back on so I put blackmagic Margaret.. xxx stay well everyone ❤️

Hi people..PLEASE let me put this straight as regards this picture.. and that is IT WAS NOT BOMBED.. IT WAS DEMOLISHED... that is the top end of Great Tindal St and Monument rd...I lived in Gt tindal st..and where that building before demolished a family called Slaney lived and beside them was a little shop/house then we meet WRENSONS on the corner where it joins Monument rd next to wrensons onto Monument rd was a lovely cake shop with glass doors then a few more shops.. now all that was demolished as you see in the picture..across the road from wrensons was the pub THE STOUR VALLEY HOTEL..but just known as the pub.. and Maurice scipio if you see this picture your 120 Victoria building was just about the end of the second car going down next to the Advance factory your family house 120was about 3or 4 doors away from the Advance.. I lived in the opening across the road 121..
Then at the other end of Gt tindal st were it met LEDSAM ST, on the corner was the pub The Mount Pleasant... and let me say when all those houses were demolished we still lived in ours and could see everything across Monument rd..we called it The Ponderosa.. then we left 62.. so yes I know Gt tindal st.. OK everyone hope you understood all what I was on about.. by for now..I was BUSHBABY but could not get back on so I put blackmagic Margaret.. xxx stay well everyone ❤️
Hi blackmagic alias bushbaby, lovely to see mention of the Slaneys again. I spent many weekends at their house and the car in the picture belonged to my Uncle Arthur. Very old car but he had it in the late 50s if that is any use to you. He always left it unlocked, he was very trusting.
Keep the stories coming

There was a request earlier in this thread for an image of the Stour Valley Inn that stood at the corner of Monument Road and Great Tindal Street from 1830 until 1962. 130 odd years not bad going for a pub as they don't seem to last five minutes these days. As I see no one has responded to the request, this is the one that I have.
Thanks for picture Phil..only just saw this as I have not been on here few years.. yes you are correct.. I lived in Great Tindal St over the road from the Advance factory.. but still on the same side as the pub.. The Stour Valley pub(Hotel)and was better known by the nickname "The Horsefalls".. Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.. blessing's from Bushbaby..xx

Thanks for picture Phil..only just saw this as I have not been on here few years.. yes you are correct.. I lived in Great Tindal St over the road from the Advance factory.. but still on the same side as the pub.. The Stour Valley pub(Hotel)and was better known by the nickname "The Horsefalls".. Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.. blessing's from Bushbaby..xx
i am afraid phil passed away a couple of years ago...just a note to all members that if you see "gone but not forgotten "under a members user name it means they have sadly passed away

lyn

Back