• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Tindal Street Ladywood

are these any good maurice just read your last post so you would most likely have them

Ladywood Mount Pleasant Great Tindal St.jpggreat tindal street.jpg

Hi Bushbaby,

I too have seen at least one photograph of the Stour Valley Inn, so they are out there somewhere. However, in Norman Bartlam's book Ladywood - ISBN 0750920718 - there are, on Page 108, two pictures of their Ladies Dart Team with quite a few named from 1949 and 1954. Like all these books, not expensive and well worth putting on your Christmas list! :)

Maurice

Hi maurice i have a couple of old names from Alston street
Named Apperly 110 Alston street ;
Faultless 129 Alston street;
Horton 117 Alston street ;
Wormald 120 alston street ;

Quinn 28 Grt Tindal street ;
Shutts 79 Grt Tindal street ;
Wort 82 Grt Tindal street ;
Taken from old ladywood book remembered by norman power , vicar of ladywood 1952
And there was an under taker at the corner of Alston street and ladywood road they was there from the year
139 ladywood road oppersite resovoir road since October 18th 1905 and may i add Alston street was on the ajoining of ladywood road ladywood and these guys are still in service at the top of the high street harbourne and the general manager is a ladywood kid brought up from a kid [ excuse me maurice , i have forgotten to give you there name]
It is Thomas furber and sons

Hello Alan,

The first time I encountered the surname Furber was when I joined BCT Head Office (then in Congreve Street) as a junior cashier in September 1953. The third in command was a guy called Jack Furber, who'd had massive abdominal surgery, but must have been in his late 30s when I arrived. When I next encountered that name, it must have been over 35 years when I started on the family history and found the undertakers, Thomas Furber, in Ladywood. I often wondered if there was a connection between the two, but I've never got around to doing the research as they are not actually related to me.

Eventually, only an old sister of my father, Louisa SHEPPARD, was left at 12 Alston Street in 1959. That was the year that four tower blocks were built just off Morville Street, and she was moved into Kenchester Tower as her home was to be demolished so that they could build Ladywood Middleway. Kenchester Tower & Blakemere Tower were demolished themselves in 2002, so their lifespan was a mere 42 years before the Council realised their building was a mistake. I don't know whether the other two tower blocks are still standing or whether they have met the same fate.

Unfortunately, there are no family photos from my father's side and I think if any, they must have gone to a brother who was 16 years older. I was still a schoolboy when Dad died and only his other sister turned up at his funeral. We all assumed that his brother had died before the war, because no one knew whether he was still alive or where he'd moved to. In actual fact, he was still alive when Dad died but, I only found out that he died a few months after my father three years ago. It's a strange world, isn't it? Thanks for the info, Alan, I must away to my bed! :)

Maurice

Lyn,

It is just possible, and I am far from sure, that the buildings on the right of your second photo in post #29 might include part of Victoria Buildings. I think that the pub in the first picture must be further down the street.

There's also a possibility with this pic, which is the top one in Astonian's group in post #11 that I have tarted up a bit. But what is puzzling me is the demolished building on the right. Nothing on BARRA for this street but a bomb dropped on 425 Monument Road. Not a very clear picture, but the other houses appear to be inhabited, which would suggest bomb damage rather than 1960s demolition. I don't know whether the Forum car experts can date the picture from the first car. :)

Maurice
Alans_GTS.jpg

Last edited:
maurice that photo post 33 is in a book i have about ladywood by norman bartlam...caption says dated 17th nov 1960 so i reckon its possible that demo of the street had started because the caption also says that soon these buildings will also be gone...the photo i have is much clearer

lyn

Lyn,

That must be in the Bartlam book I can't find at the moment as I have all of his books. Wonder which end they start at? :)

I've removed my requests to Mike & Alan in my previous post as these are no longer relevant. Thanks.

Here's Great Tindal Street in 1956 and the bit I am interested in I have outlined in red.

Maurice
1956_GTS_Kellys.jpg

Lyn,

If the bit where the cars are is Advance Die Castings, then we have it, as Advance was number 126 to 128 and I want 120.

Maurice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Thanks for the maps. Once I had looked at the 1956 Kellys entry above I realised that Great Tindal Street came out at 116 Monument Road.

Maurice

I think it very likely Maurice, as the larger scale map below shows that on the opposite side of the road, just before Victoria buildings there is a wide covered entry in a building, which is followed by 4 houses, then a court entry and then another 6 houses and another court entry. this would correspond to the photo.
map c1889 showing victoria buildings.jpg

scanned it maurice not sure if it will zoom in enough to see any writing on that building

img362.jpg

Maurace.
Map below show 425 Monument st in blue and 146 Gt Tindal st in red

View attachment 129077
An interesting map, covering a large area. I see no date mentioned but Monument Lane LNWR railway station became an LMS station in the merging of over one hundred railway companied into just four in 1923. Of course that could mean the map people were slow in updating their details. I also see the Palais de Danse mentioned, but it is listed as a skating rink, so that might suggest a date. I looked at the Dance Halls and Palais threads but did not see mention of its earlier use of a skating rink.
I am curious about the street numbering of Monument Road. 425 is shown two doors down from the skating rink, however house numbers opposite were in the low numbers which started at 1.

The lamppost appears to be in the right place too, Mike. So the last house standing in the Bartlam picture I reckon to be number 136. Can't find much on Advance Diecastings at all, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that they moved from Ladywood to Perry Barr or somewhere well out of town. Nothing in the Daily Post or the London Gazette, so maybe they moved out and were just taken over, which doesn't attract so much media attention as going bust! Thanks.

Maurice

Last edited:
Alan
I always try and label the date of maps on the file , even if I do not remember to mention it in the text. If you save the map it is saved as c1918, which is how it is listed on the map site. However Richard Oliver's book on OS maps states that the 2nd revision of the maps in the Birmingham area was 1913.

Lyn,

Thanks for re-scanning, but I think those fancy windows must be the Advance buildings at 126 to 128. So here is my final offering. Many thanks all for your help.

Maurice
120 and Advance 1960.jpg

hi bushbaby at the moment i cannot help with your pub but here is a couple of pics of great tindal street for you
Thankyou Astonian... now the question is WHY are you called Astonian..??? Icome to live in Aston in 1948 at the age of Three...went to brearley st school then onto St Chads ..left to live in Great tindal street Ladywood in 53 went to Oratory school... then moved back to Aston ..Frederick rd.. and they are my favourite places..up to this very day i was in aston looking at the old Clements pub..by all accounts it's been renamed ..Rosie New Town Row...but the twice I went to nip in..no good as it's closed..but my friend said it does be open as he plays music there..can you shed any light on this... happy New year to you

One for Mikejee.......

Mike, could you show me the location of 120 Great Tindal Street around 1891 to 1901 please. Also, if it is marked on the map, the location of Victoria Buildings in the same street please. My father lived at 120 as a boy/teen. A photograph exists on Old Ladywood showing Victoria Buildings, but no house numbers. I'm just wondering how close they were. Many thanks.

Maurice
Hi Maurice..just seen your post and I can tell you this much..my address in 1953 till it was demolished in 63 was..... 2back of 121.BRIGHTON BUILDINGS.. so I'm thinking the even numbers were on the other side of the street where the ADVANCE factory was..

Hi Maurice..just seen your post and I can tell you this much..my address in 1953 till it was demolished in 63 was..... 2back of 121.BRIGHTON BUILDINGS.. so I'm thinking the even numbers were on the other side of the street where the ADVANCE factory was..
Forgot to put ..and it was in Great Tindal St Ladywood...

Hi Bushbaby,

Yes, correct, three doors from the Advance factory, and, of course, this was Great Tindal Street.

Maurice :)

Back