• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Queen Street

mossg

master brummie
I am researching a relative in my family tree.In the 1871 & 1881 census their address was Gt Queen St, Worcester house,Birmingham.In the Municipal ward of Market Hall and the parish of St Jude.
His occupation was a Fish merchant.
Moss.

Moss
Old queen St was what became Queens drive , but before the other half of New St station was built. The north side was completely occupied by the station , the south by buildings, of which in 1878-80 no 5 was Coates Jas.Douglas & Co.fish salesmen and in 1873 (not numbered but after no 7 ) was
Humphreys
W. wholesl. fishmgr
mike

map_1866_showing_great_queen_st_.JPG

My first posting and it's a request for information! Sorry.

Attached is a painting by my g-g-grandfather Alfred Freeman Smith(1847-1932) entitled 'Great Queen Street, Birmingham' and dated 1883. Alfred was an architect in Birmingham and also taught at the Municipal School of Art. I am no expert on Birmingham so any thoughts on this picture or the artist himself would be most appreciated.

Some questions:

Is this really Great Queen St? Is it an accurate view at the time? (I notice there are no horse buses for instance). What's the building that runs the whole length of the street? What's that large building in the distance?

I know it's not a photo but this seemed the best place to post it, given its subject matter.

thanks

Tony

Attachments

• City Great Queen Street Painting.jpg
    City Great Queen Street Painting.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi AJS,

I do not know of a Great Queen Street in Birmingham although I have lived in the area all my life. Perhaps someone else can let us know for sure.

It is a very nice painting though.

Old Boy

There was a Great Queen St it's on an old map that I have of Brum... The long building on the right looks from my map and the painting to be the back of New Street Station .
I can't post the map just now as I'm on the lap-top and the map is on my other computer.
However if no one post one I'll post it later after I've transfered it to the lap-top..

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I think Great Queen St was replaced by Queens Drive at some time, perhaps when New St station was extended. As you can see from this old map it lay along the line of Queens Drive before that too disappeared.

Phil

StreetPlanBirminghamStreetPlan1900.jpg

Thank you so much for posting you gg grandfather's painting for us to see, AJS. Its both beautifull & fascinating. What unique insights it gives us to this otherwise artisticly neglected area of Birmingham.

Thanks for the kind words and helpful hints. I now believe the painting shows a view from the junction of Worcester Street and Gt. Queen Street just in front of the Market Hall. The building on the right is the back of New Street Station before the Midland Railway opened their extension to the station in 1885. This extension appears to have obliterated Great Queen Street. I think the pub on the left is called the Bulls Head, though so far I have only looked at an 1867 Kelly's.

Thanks again

Tony

Great Queen St was about where Queen's Drive later was. In 1880, and a little before, the north side was occupied by the L & NW station, whilst the south side was assorted businesses. In the drawing there is a building, the third down, which looks a bit like a pub . In 1876 there is a pub listed . the Bulls Head, but it does not appear in 1878 or after. In 1884 Great Queen St is listed as "now part of Station St".Can't find any that would fit in with "ASH" that appeatrs to be on the upper stories of the first building
mike

what a wonderful painting tony....thank you so much for posting it...you must be very proud to own it...

lyn

Couldn't agree more, truly wonderful painting.

Many thanks for posting.

Are there any more in the attic?

Neville..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't own it lyn!! The image is from a Sotheby's catalogue of the year 2000 when it failed to sell at an estimate of £5000-£8000. I have no idea where it is now.

Tony you will find a few examples of Alfred Freeman Smith's work in The Making of Birmingham Dent 1894
moz-screenshot.png
https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/SHPLoader.aspx?x=books.html&sc=1440

That's another painting I'd happily have on my wall Bordesleyexile! So full of activity and atmosphere. I wondered if any part of this view still exists. I know Great Queen Street disappeared when New St Station was built, but it would be so nice to find something in the painting that still exists. I can't spot anything. Thanks for posting. Viv.

OK thanks Mike. I did also wonder if, on what looks like a hill in the distance, there's a glimpse of the Town Hall. But it's all a bit too vague. Viv.

I wonder if Mike could pinpoint Cambridge House,Gt Queen street?As i had relatives living and working from this address in 1881.moss

I'm afraid I have no large scale map of the period. the c 1889 map covers when there were no buildings other than the stations, and the much earlier maps do not have queen st on them. Cambridge house was on the south side betwenn dudley st junction and the worcester st end, and this is marked in red on the 1855 small scale map below

map_1866_showing_approx_Cambridge_house_position_in_great_queen_st_.jpg

Please note, I originally made an error in my previous post. Have now corrected it, but am drawing attention to it in case someone had already read it
Mike

The almshouses which stood on the site of the old New Street Station - all swept away to make way for the LMS extension. Viv.

93EA68C5-6083-4310-8919-7D6E025B8AB4.jpeg

viv
I have some difficulty in accepting all the details of that place as described in the clipping. The map below is from 1866, well before 1879, and seems to show that "facing the junction of Gt Queen St and Dudley St" already was the station. So, as I see it, either the position or date given would seem to be wrong.

Archibald fullerton map 1866 around new st station.jpg

mike i did wonder myself but didnt like to say as i dont really know enough to comment as such...also didnt know there were almshouses there either

lyn

I think the writing (bottom left of the image) says Great Queen Street - Dudley Street. Seems quite precise. Maybe Tarlington was drawing a retrospective view, to represent the view before the Station, putting it back to pre-1854.

Are any of the other buildings recognisable ? Viv.

Small, old and dilapidated dwellings were being cleared across a large area, including Gt Queen St and Dudley St in 1882. In total 180 houses, as well as the Old Meeting House (the houses were supposed to be at the rear of the Meeting House) were cleared to make way for the LNWR New St extension. So Gt Queen St was still in existence in 1882 and couldn’t have been covered over by the old Midland part of New St Station. Is the last sentence wrong in that it should have read ‘covered by the later LNWR extension’ ? The confusion could be because the journalist is commenting on the present day - well in 1957, the date of the press cutting.

Viv.E1870279-7414-4C71-A674-DDF4A6D60F12.jpeg

Last edited:
Back