• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Lister St shops

Trebor

master brummie
I have just received the following request from Eric Hill of Heartland Society, can anyone help please.

Regards Rita (Trebor)

I wonder if you or anyone you know could help me with a query. I remember when I was a lad my mother used to use the shops in Great Lister Street and she always referred to it as 'The Soldiers' have you or anyone you know heard of this or where the expression came from? I think the shops were at that time opposite St Mathews Church, I remember that among the normal shops (greengrocers, meat ect) was a pawnshop. I would be grateful for any information you could supply

hi ya, in great lister st there used to be a wallpaper shop,
it was by i,m almost sure to eaves the sweet shop?
i used to hang out with a lad call Georgie moorhead who,s
parents owned it or ran it, have i lost the plot or can anyone
remember it i cant see any reference to it, am i looking in the wrong
place?? regards dereklcg.

Last edited:
I always thought it was because 'Harry Poulton' who owned it was known as the 'Old Soldier'

GER22VAN post #6 was spot on.... it was the fruit & Veggie shop owned by Mr Harry Poulton.
We also knew it as 'The Soldier's, I worked at the Paper shop a few doors away as a paper girl. Mr Poulton often gave us paper kids bruised apples and pears and other bits, as he knew that might be the only time some of us kids ever got 'Fresh' fruit to eat.

Pom

Re: great lister street photo

Hi Derek,
I have a photo somewhere of Higgins 'crock-shop' at 237 Cromwell St which was my mom and dads business. The chemist on the corner of Gt Lister St was run by an Egyptian named Mr Farooq as I remember. Will look out the photo and post it.
Pete

Hello Pete, I think you may be thinking of Atkins along Great Lister Street on the right hand side down towards Bloomsbury Street Bank on the corner.

Hi Pete i trust you and your's are well?
the troch shop, i think you refer to was Eaves,they also made icecream to die for.
the shop had a low roof it may have been rebuilt,there was a wallpaper shop,
and next door or very near there was a mens taylor,s Burnstein..
there is a pic on the web of those shop,s somewhere.
regards Derek

Derek,

This must be the shop you are referring to, this was taken in 1960 which couldn't have been long before Great Lister St disappeared.

Phil
Photo replaced by what I think is the same as the original

Nechells Great Lister St 1960 x .jpg
NechellsGreatListerSt1960x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one phil ,i always though they were possibly rebuilt as they seem a bit out of place with other buildings,
as we only lived up the road we used the shop all the time.
I also used to go to a tobaconist there to get capston full strenth for billy weir the bookie that was next to our house,
that shop was near eaves the shop was called butts,
happy days derek.

Re: great lister street photo

derek+phil thanks.i dont remember the shop.i was very young.only remember the sweets mom bought us. when i think of or see a green grocers solders always comes to mind

424269_3341624822066_1312070800_3392158_1922005740_n.jpgHello Peter did you ever come across the photo,of your Mom and Dads shop in Cromwell st?
regards Derek 3 Cromwell st Nechell B,ham 7

Here are memories of Mrs Jones in her shop in Great lister St. I am not quite clear whether the accumulators were associated with Mrs Dorothy Jones Sweet /tobaconist shop at no 230 or Mrs Louisa Jones hardware store at no 231, though would think it was the hardware store.

memories of dorothyJones shop in Gt Lister St carl chinns old brum no 2.jpg

Back