• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Great King Street memories

Hi Lyn, did she live in the houses with the garage underneath. They were across the road from us as it was a cul de sac. The high raised flat to the right, or did she live there. Her Surname doesn't ring a bell. Houses to the left came under wheeler st.

Jackie

I not sure if my mom would of known her, she passed away 2 yrs ago. So unable to ask, did your aunt go by Joy for short people shortened names. You've got me thinking.

LUCAS - GREAT KING STREET &c..

Who remembers the big Christmas party done every year for children of Lucas employees; with gift pack at conclusion? Professional entertainers, for children, delivered.
Lucas also gave employees a Christmas box (a kind of hamper).

The huge plant at Great King Street, very well built, could have been put to many good uses. It is utterly astounding it was razed. Condominiums, perhaps? A barbaric waste (nothing unusual of course).

Lucas transferred the bulk of production to South Africa. Cheap labour and no sophisticated veteran labour movement issues to deal with.
Two birds; one stone. The Shaftmoor Lane complex employed several thousand industrious artisans. [The BWs]

Very terrible business altogether. Needless to say no mass protest?
:cry:

Hello I fetched errands for a Len and Edith Jones who both worked at Lucas Gt King St , they managed to get me on those Christmas
do's we went to a couple of panto's after the parties late 50's I'm talking about and yes we all got a present after I remember a badge I got one year of a lifebuoy the ring was a bright white with gold ropes around it , It must have cost them millions over the years

The WMPTE Lucas's Great King's St buses; in 1980, I used to use the one from Kingstanding when I worked at Newman Tonks in Bridge Street West. Always felt like I might be doing something wrong but it saved me the walk from Newtown Row.

29598055_936360063208400_5427314781963982603_n.jpg

Changing the subject but still Lucas's.This picture shows, i think a retirement presentation in the toolroom at Gt King St in the 60s.
Just look how smart the toolmakers were in their collar and ties,not worn just for the day but a regular practice.Moss
Hi, just came across this picture, this was taken at the time I was a toolmaker at King Street. I recognise some of the faces in the picture.

I'm fairly certain that this picture was taken at one of the Lucas factories, like many people my mum (Edith Leroux nee Keight) 3rd from the left, worked at various depots over the years. I would think it was taken late 50s. John

Attachments

• Lucas workers.jpg
    Lucas workers.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Hi

I think we are talking about the 8FL and the 9FL Units. They are in fact Electronic units that fit in Your Wiring
Harness. Adjustment would have been part of the Final Assy Operations.
The Units themselves are of Japanese Origin.
Bernard will be the best on this Subject.

Mike Jenks
I have some recollections of the ladies adjusting these units in GK3, particularly the small rectangular ones (8FL?). The units contained a thin metal leaf which they would bend and manipulate while watching a dot on an oscilloscope screen rise up then shoot across. I could never work out what it was exactly they were doing to those units to get them into spec but they were bloody quick at it!

My first full time job was at King Street in the computer department of S&S. This was back in the early 70's when they were running NCR machines. I was there when they upgraded those machines building a spanking new, state of the art, computer room. When the head honchos came to visit, one of them lit a cigar, triggering the fire alarms, and shutting the place down. Don't think they were to pleased when we grabbed the master tapes and rushed out just before the steel shutters came crashing down.

The Lucas Monument has already been mentioned but there was some debate as to exactly where it is. It is on Great King Street North, Newtown - alongside Lucas Circus roundabout amongst the trees.

This is an image from TripAdviser (note, the write up contains incorrect information).

Viv.

ABA2AA72-3DE6-4E80-9B0A-3C3B5D507724.jpeg

Last edited:
The Lucas Monument has already been mentioned but there was some debate as to exactly where it is. It is on Great King Street North, Newtown - alongside Lucas Circus roundabout amongst the trees.

This is an image from TripAdviser (note, the write up contains incorrect information).

Viv.

View attachment 148011
I believe it is supposed to be on the site of the original factory, which was in Little King St, Off Gt King ST, but niow buried under the grass when the roads were mucjked about with during the rebuild of the area

I believe it is supposed to be on the site of the original factory, which was in Little King St, Off Gt King ST, but niow buried under the grass when the roads were mucjked about with during the rebuild of the area

its still there bri...passed it the other week

lyn

its still there bri...passed it the other week

lyn

Thats it Lyn, they bent Gt King st when they redeveloped the area. The original lucas factory was much smaller than the Gt King st site and was near the end of little king st, I understand near to the juct of the original Gt King st.

Thats it Lyn, they bent Gt King st when they redeveloped the area. The original lucas factory was much smaller than the Gt King st site and was near the end of little king st, I understand near to the juct of the original Gt King st.
Yes Brian and memorial looks close to the likely location of the factory. (1889 map)
GKS 1.jpgGKS 2.jpg

Back