• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Great King Street memories

hi folks..if anyone come accross any photos of the properties in gt king st i would love to see them..

mike if you see this post topsy posted a great pic of the peoples chapel gks i wonder if you would know what number this was at...as you know i am looking for pics of no 140 which was my old docs surgery..

many thanks

lyn

Lyn, The 1st A Birmingham Boys' Brigade is part of the People's Chapel and there are lots of old photos on Flickr and some show parades in Great King Street and the houses behind. See https://www.flickr.com/photos/1staboysbrigade/6347643925/in/set-72157628010762361 for one of them from 1958. Rob

rob what fantastic photos you have led me to....thanks everso...

:encouragement:lyn

topsy i hope you dont mind me posting this one again..maybe a bit sharper..

lyn

img856.jpg

Not at all Lyn. That is much better. I think it is a lovely picture. The pictures of the King/Queen always remind me of a cameo.

topsy i think the building looks lovely all decked up...such an icon of the area...sad its not longer there...our dads security boxes were not there then though...had one at each end...

lyn

a view from gt king st in the 20s into the back yards and across the smoking chimneys of neighbouring houses..

pubandgtkingstpic013.jpg

over head shot of the lucas factory and surrounding streets...

Arial20Pic.jpg

Last edited:
for many years now ive had this image of going to the lucas christmas partys...i was sure that they were held in a building in farm st and by reading this book i have it does say that they were held in S block in farm st...here is a plan of the factory

planofgks001.jpg

hi jackie good to hear from you...i have borrowed 2 books about lucas and in one of them there is a pic of a young roy harrington taken in the 80s at the lucas training school....as soon as i saw it i could see the family likeness..roy is my dads uncles son who i have never met...i contacted roys brother as i have his email address and he confirmed that yes roy for many years was chef to the main board at joseph lucas gks....he is now chef to the law lords in birminghams central criminal court and plans to retire next year...it just goes to show that we never know how or when bits of our family history will come together...

lyn

Hi Lyn

It amazes me just how many familys have connections with Lucas, and just how many photos and bits and pieces are still out there

I had an email from a man in the USA asking me about a tool box he had bought from a sale it turned out to be an old Lucas shipping create

Its brilliant

Jackie

i know jackie...lucas as you know employed many thousands of folk...so far ive now got 3 members of my family who worked there...my aunt joyce was there for well over 30 years..dad was security and now another one pops up..amazing..will post anymore pics i think will be of interest...

lyn

IMGP3273.jpg
An old newspaper cutting,no date,no info,but it is Lucas's and I think it's Great King Street.(sorry about the quality)

Back