• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Great King Street memories

Hi All
When Lucas's was Demolished i had the job of Dismantling and saving that Clock in the Centre.
Wal

hi wal i was only thinking the other day i wonder what happened to the clock...where is it now...

lyn

Hi Astoness:rapture:
I actually worked for J.J.Gallagher who Demolished Lucas's Factory
in Great King Street, and the Clock was taken down by me and my mate Dave Stead. We had orders to take it to a Birmingham City Council Heritage Storage depot at the back of Dudley Road Hospital, think it was Weston road ? we put it in Storage for them but i do not know what happened to it after that.:upset:
Wal.

i wonder if its still in storage then wal...would be great to find out...by the way did you see the pics i posted about 3 years back of the lucas building being demolished..they would have gone off the forum now because of the hacking but i may still have them in my files...

Hi Lyn
Possibly still in storage. Yes i did see the Pics and downloaded them because the fella operating the Large Crane with the Demolition Ball on was my best mate Tommy Stewart who sadly since passed away also there are pictures of Gallaghers lorries on there too. Gallaghers made us all redundant in in 1994 when J.J. died. I then got a job as Supervisor of Pest Control at Birmingham City Council and i retired last year.
Wal.

ok wal..those pics were dated 13.3.94 just in case you dont have the date...also they are very sad pics i think i will repost them on the forum..will try and find out what happened to the clock..

lyn

sad pics these...demo of lucas gt king st...dated march 1994

DSCF1325.jpg

img259.jpg
This is the man responsible for it all, Joseph Lucas.

I have come across a newspaper supplement all about J. Lucas and Great King Street. It also mentions other J. Lucas establishments with various pictures of employees and different sections of the factory.Some other members will obviously have read this and I would like to know if members would be interested enough for me to post a few bits from it.

I have finished sorting out and everything I might post on the forum is now in one draw. I only have about five pictures for this thread so I will post them before destroying them because they are tatty news-paper cuttings. I hope they cause someone to recall their time at J. Lucas
.img420.jpg
How times have changed, Wilmot Breedon, The Austin and dozens of other factories employed many thousands of people just like J. Lucas.

img421.jpg----img422.jpg----img423.jpg Two images of the people hard at work and one of more pleasant times.

img419.jpg And now it is all over.

what a great pic no 1 is...taken around the 1920s at a guess..pic 5 is a sad one as apart from showing the great factory under demolision it also shows our dads security box when he worked at lucas...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn
On the Demolition Photo you will notice that the Clock has gone as you know it was me who removed it. Have you had any luck in finding it since we last spoke...
Wal.

hi wal and yes i had noticed in the demo pic that the clock had gone by then...ive been told that it could be at dolman st and it is on my list of places to visit...

lyn

I didn't see the clock at Dollman Street but that is not to say it is not there.

hi folks..if anyone come accross any photos of the properties in gt king st i would love to see them..

mike if you see this post topsy posted a great pic of the peoples chapel gks i wonder if you would know what number this was at...as you know i am looking for pics of no 140 which was my old docs surgery..

many thanks

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
The chapel is not numbered, but is between 74 & 75, that is on theother side of the street below Bridge St West.

Back