• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Great King Street memories

Hi Chris

What a brilliant tribute to Goerge Griffith, I bet his family are so proud to see what you have put on your website

Good luck for the future, keep up the good work

Jackie

what a lovely tribute to george griffiths....his family will be very proud of it....thanks to all concerned for making it possible..

astoness:)

does anyone remember this man john giblin,from lucas factory in great king street..he married valerie brueton who worked there too ...

My sister bought these down today of her grandfather when he retired from Lucas's hope i have posted in the right place..his name was Edward Sadler..we are not sure of the year

maggieuk, Send the pics of Edward Sadler, to Jackie Hill webmistress of Lucas Memories and you may get some answers to your questions, it`s an excellent site. Len.

Thanks Len, Grandad (Edward Sadler) was really pleased with that photo. They presented him with a Teasmaid. But he was very unhappy when the next morning he woke to find that he had put the spout the wrong way and had boiling water in his slippers. :redface:

Heather (Maggies sister)

Thanks Len ..Heather has so many things of interest its going to take some time to put them on the forum:):):)

Hi Jennyann

Reading through the thread I have noticed you started the thread with a piece about your Mom and Dad

I wonder if you could send a photo of the Wedding breakfast and a write up about how it came about

I'm sorry it has been so long after you posted but I was not a member of the forum in 2003 and don't always have time to go through all of the postings

Thanks

Jackie

I think the photo in #18 was taken in F2 toolroom at GKS. One of the people in the back row looks very much like my uncle who was a miller working in F2.

Hi Mike, You could be right. Thinking back Grandad was in the tool room. How amazing that we have both got relatives in the same photo. Heather

Hi Maggie and Heather

Thank you for allowing me to put the photos on the website

They are in GKS Gallery 25

Jackie

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackie, you are most welcome. It was lovely to see them there, Grandad Ted would have been so proud. Heather

does anybody recall georgie jelf whom caused a strike there way back in the sixtyies i think it was
as he his a relative to us; and to another member of this forum jaynews it was a prolomged strike
and made the head lines of the evening mail i beleived he worked there for donkeys years
some think to do with him parking his car in the car park ; he is now in his ninetys and going strong as ever
he used to stand for election for many years in small heath ; he is infact my mothers cousin
have a nice day best wishes astonian

hi All
Came across this photo of Lucas at Great King St Hockley

Image2_Lucas_Grt_King_St_Hockley~0.jpg

Regards Stars

thats an amazing pic stars..i cant recall seeing that one before...

cheers

lyn

Hi

Here are some photos of inside Lucas's at Great King St.

Image6_Inside_Lucas_1920s.jpg

Here is one of the large presses

Image5__power_presses_at_Lucas_Gt_King_St_Hockley_2.jpg

And here is one of a shop in broad st selling Lucas products.
Image7_Lucas_retailer_Broad_St_Bham~0.jpg

Regards Stars

A T Gittins (I worked for them for a year or so) was more than simply a shop it offered full servicing and repair for Lucas, Girling and CAV products including guarantee work. I worked at Irvine Street.

Hi Lyn
Thats how i remember it. Such a large factory employing so many people,
it must have been devastating for the area when it shut down.

Stars

Hi Bernie
Hope it brought back good memories, and thanks for the information.

Stars

HI THERE SOME-ONE MENTIONED SOME-ONE WORKING THERE ALL IS LIFE AND RETIRED AND PASSED AWAY AT THE AGE OF 56 -
WELL MY UNCLE GEORGE JELF IS STILL LIVING AND HE HIS NINETY YEARS OF AGE AND STILL GOING STRONG AND LIVING OVER IN WEOLY CASTLE ;
BIRMINGHAM AND HE WAS A BIG TRADE UNIONIST FOR THE METAL TRADE I THINK IT WAS YOU CAN LEARN ALL ABOUT HIM ON GOOGLE BY TYPING IN GEORGE JELF EVEN THOU HE MAY HAVE CAUSED A RUMPUS WITH SOME SILLY SECURITY OVERNOTHINK HE DONE ALOT OF GOOOD FOR THE BIRMINGHAM PEOPLE
INCLUDING CONVERLESONS HOME IN WALE WHICH YOU WILL LEARN ABOUT IT ON GOOGLE LIKE I DID ;
I LEARNT OF HIS NAME THROUGH MY MOTHER MANY years ago when he it the head lines of creating a strike and walk out because it was some think to do with the dammed car parking when she seen his name on the head lines it was then she spoke of him and said look this man is my cousin
and told me of his back ground a being a councuillor with in the small heath ward for donkeys years since he was young and came back from canada
and the rest of the family fell out with him over his beleives but she never did fall out with george as they was great mates and friends as being 1 st cousins
it also on google it states he played a big part of the people of birmingham by getting them houses on chelmsley wood when it first was built it apparently was a high percentage of birmingham people of getting there house thereso he must have done some good also involved with the old birmingham city councill
in there early years of being formed along with and great friends of freda cox and co ;
but also my mother told us that many years years ago i do not which war it was but the jelfs father or there grand father used to go to great king street
with a cart and sell sandwiches and tea to the night workers of lucas,s out side there gates and thats how he made the money
for a little shop down sumer lane end and he would put a great big joint of cooking meat with windows steaming up and stand in the window with a cheffs
tall top hat and done well in making his money for the family when i was a young lad i used to walk down there to great kings street and think of the storiesmy mother told me about her family and knowing of all the coffee shops they had around the birmingham --aston area as well
and i would always look in to see if i seen my grand father in any of them but there again i do not think for one minute they would have spoke to me because they shunned my mother like george for going away with the commoner and gold digger like my old man;
i have heard stories before ; but two years ago i went to see george at his house in weoly castle and he said the same thing ; yes alan i remember your mom and dad he cause problems because he had a drink problem and he lived with us for awhille at new cannal street
because they ansells draymen deliver casked s of beers every week for there big party s which was often ;
so i cannot great king street and georgiejelf whomworked there for decades ; yes its sad to have seen and lost thefactory at grt king street
just like loseing the car industry ; don,t get to carried away andget excuted with rover and jaguar because it will disapear the same was as longbridge and drews lane ; astonian

Back