• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

great king street in the 50's

Yes I do remember it and also the hairdressers almost opposite, I think it was called Andertons. I remember when the Boys Brigade used to go on their Sunday morning march with the bugle band and we would march alongside them taking the mickey.

Regarding the photograph (I posted above) sent to me some years ago by my late cousin of Great King street showing the courtyard entry to John Stone's birthplace 3/213 (which had also been my family's house since it was built in the 1830s - 1930s), I recently noticed that the café in the picture at 209 is called 'King of the Road'. My late grandmother as a child, remembered Joseph Lucas pushing his handcart up and down the the steep road. Due to recent research I had wondered if the café in the photo. had been named after him as the first oil lamp he produced in his Little King Street workshop was called 'King of the Road'. I had speculated that had been his handcart moniker. I then came across a Lucas Memories web site and to my astonishment I discovered that in 1872 he was actually living and/or running his business at 209 Great King Street! No wonder my grandmother remembered him, they were close neighbours!

Regarding the blurring of the faces of John Stone and his sister in my photograph, the original is also blurred. I wonder if had been done for privacy when developed. I think my cousin originally found the photo. at the reference library, but cannot be sure.

I have attached another photo showing the King of the Road café at 209 Great King Street but from a different angle looking down the hill. That premises appears to be twice as big as the other houses, i.e. double fronted. I now suspect that the actual reason that two official photographs had been taken featuring the café was because of its historical significance and to create a lasting record knowing it was to be demolished.

Attachments

• great king street v21.jpg
    great king street v21.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back