• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Hampton Street

just going back to this photo on kierons web page... if i am not mistaken the first corner on the right is hylton st 3 doors up from that i can see my first place of work at no 47 and just on the next corner up you can see what was the nelson inn pub also on the corner of hylton st as it goes round in a square....fantastic

great-hampton-street-vyse-street.jpg

I note the premises opposite stating on their sign "pantechnicon" meaning, usually, a large furniture van. Do not hear that word used often today.
Originally the word was formed from the Greek pan ("all") and techne ("art"). The word was used for a place where furniture was stored. We tended to use the word for (as you say) a large furniture van, but in fact that would have been a "Pantechnicon Van" - the van used by the pantechnicon business!

Last edited:
But are not all new words used to describe things "invented"?. I must admit I always associate pantechnicon with a large furniture van pulled by horses, which I did actually see in Leeds nearly 50 years ago. Unfortunately did not have camera with me, but below is one at Beamish museum
Pantechnicon at Beamish.jpg

Just for the record, referring back to this image posted by Stitcher it shows #64 and #65 Great Hampton Street, at the junction with Well Street. The buildings were replaced with the building below. Viv.
thanks viv that is very interesting

lyn

An aerial view of Great Hampton Street (1950). I find it fascinating that the main railway line from Hockley to Snow Hill is so discreet and is only on view at one point on this image.
The tunnelling/cutting involved to get the lines to the stations in the city centre must have been incredible and the disruption unbearable, The extent of the work must have been 10x greater than when the A38(M) expressway was built.

Attachments

• gt-hampton-st-1950.jpg
    gt-hampton-st-1950.jpg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 24
The Lucas Works shown in John’s aerial view post #97 is now apartments (‘lofts’). But they seem to have retained similar architectural features to the factory. Or was this a conversion of the old factory ? Viv.

B1047C40-6DE9-46C8-AEAF-FE31C32D776F.jpeg

Joseph Lucas had a factory and training centre at the Great Hampton Street location.
The Lucas Engineering School (LES), contributed significantly to training of apprentices for location in the many manufacturing and design locations. They operated a bonus scheme where if trainees passed the end of year exams a bonus of 15 shillings was added to you wages, to buy tools or equipment related to you job.

Ernie

Hey, I am trying to find some photos of the facade of Frederick Restall on Grt Hampton St (now the blue nile restaurant), I've been through all the threads I can find related to the building but cant find much, wondering if anyone knows/has anything?

When I worked at Guest Keen and Nettlefolds, Heath St H/O in the 50's our office furniture was made by Frederick Restall & Co. It had all the cubby holes for every thing at hand and were made with oak and as solid as a brick dunny ( as we say in Aust.).
There were two pull out extension shelves , one either side of your chairs. I was 18 and returned from Xmas lunch worse for wear so I was put into my chair which was pushed tight to the desk and said flaps were pulled out either side to support me as I slept it off.

Hi

my great x 6 grandparents had a jewellers in Great Hampton STreet in the 1800s called Joseph Price & Son it was at number 86. I just wonder if anyone had any old photos of the area or where the jewellers would have been at all? Thanks v much
hi natty hope you are still looking in because i was down gt hampton st today and took an interest in 2 old disused buildings (possibly georgian like the restored ones further up ) that are at the back of what is obviously 2 add on shops at the front of them...turns out that the old buildings are numbers 85 and 86 so your joseph prices house is still standing...click on the street view link below to see them..cant be certain if he ran his jewellery business from here but it is possible as they are large buildings so he may have used the back of the house for his work.also below is a bit of info about numbers 75 and 76 provided by mikejee

next time i am down that way i am going to try and get a better view of the 2 houses

lyn

85 Gt Hampton St
1880-1884 Charles Dimple & SO, stampers
1888 Not Listed
1890 Joseph George Rollason, jeweller
1892 Joseph George Rollason, jeweller & William Phillips
1899 Joseph George Rollason, jeweller
1900. Mark Eales, printer; Thomas Horton, stamper and piercer;John charles,jeweller
(all listed as 85½)
1903 Hazelwood & Dent , engineers plus Mark Eales, printer; Thomas Horton, stamper and piercer;John charles,jeweller
(all listed as 85½)

86 Gt Hampton St
1880-88 Mrs Price AND Joseph Price & Sons, dlrs in precious stones
1890-1900 Not Listed
1903 Harris Jacobs, tailor

Last edited:
I'd say #85 and #86 would have looked something like these premises further along the road, before the retail shops were erected in front. The shops are a later addition (and poorly constructed if you look at the side view from Hockley Street ). #85 and #86 are obviously well constructed Georgian (edit Regency) buildings whereas the single storey shop fronts look much, much later to me.

Screenshot_20231201_192759_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say #85 and #86 would have looked something like these premises further along the road, before the retail shops were erected in front. The shops are a later addition (and poorly constructed if you look at the side view from Hockley Street ). #85 and #86 are obviously well constructed Georgian buildings whereas the single storey shop fronts look much much later.

View attachment 186559
yes viv that is what i said...they are certainly of the same design as nos 85 and 86 just a shame they have not been restored...i could get a better look if i went round the corner in hockley st and climbed the wall in the car park but my knees will not allow it now :D however if i spoke nicely to the shop keepers on the front maybe they would let me through the shop to get some good photos...i shall do my best...st view of the wall below and 1880s and 1950s maps

gt hampton st 1950s.jpggt hampton st 85 and 86 1800s.jpg

I think #85 and #86 would originally have been part of a long Georgian (edit Regency) terrace joining up with #72, #71 etc further along. The intervening houses would most likely have been demolished to make way for the larger Victorian businesses at #73 up to #84. The pavement along that stretch must therefore have once been much wider.

Last edited:
more info on numbers 85 and 86 ..hope natty logs on to read all our info as her ancestor joseph price was at no 86 as early as 1849 and no 86 was listed as early as 1845

lyn

85 Gt Hampton St
1845-49 Blackie & Sons .publishers
1855 Ryland and Andrews, goldsmiths, gold plating and wire mnfrs.etc
1858-61 William Hawkes Ryland, manuf. of gold plating wires,ornaments, beads etc
1862 Not listed
1866 Charles Dipple, manufacturer of letter weighers' clips, &c,
1867-72 Charles Dipple, brass founder
1873 Charles Dipple, brass founder AND Miss Louisa Catherine Jenks, jet manuf.
1876-1879 Charles Dipple & Son, brass foundry goods maker
1880-1884 Charles Dipple & Son, stampers
1888 Not Listed
1890 Joseph George Rollason, jeweller
1892 Joseph George Rollason, jeweller & William Phillips
1899 Joseph George Rollason, jeweller
1900. Mark Eales, printer; Thomas Horton, stamper and piercer;John charles,jeweller
(all listed as 85½)
1903 Hazelwood & Dent , engineers plus Mark Eales, printer; Thomas Horton, stamper and piercer;John Charles,jeweller
(all listed as 85½
86 Gt Hampton St
1845 Mr Robert Langebear
1849-72 Joseph Price & Sons, dlrs in precious stones
1873-88 Mrs Mary Price AND Joseph Price & Sons, dlrs in precious stones

I'd say #85 and #86 would have looked something like these premises further along the road, before the retail shops were erected in front. The shops are a later addition (and poorly constructed if you look at the side view from Hockley Street ). #85 and #86 are obviously well constructed Georgian buildings whereas the single storey shop fronts look much later to me.

View attachment 186559

I incorrectly said in post #110 and #112 that house #85 and #86 (and those further along) were Georgian houses. I think they're Regency, so a later build, probably built around 1820 . They didn't exist before 1808 according to Kempson's 1808 map..

The red dot on Kempsons map below shows Hockley Street on the NE side of Great Hampton Street had been cut but was yet to extend across Great Hampton Street. There's also a toll gate (and probably an associated house) near to where the Regency terrace is later built. An interesting snippet of Great Hampton Street history - on the cusp of significant development.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202_082945_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231202_082945_Chrome.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The Piggot Smith 1828 map on Kieran's Midlands Pubs site (link provided in post #119) shows the terrace still hadn't been built by that time. That's helpful. thanks Lyn. It also shows a significant structure, slightly set back from the road, near where the toll gate would have been. What was that ? Looks like a large house.

Last edited:
Back