• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Hampton Street

How funny that there's a weighing machine right outside the pub! Viv.

This is interesting; there were a lots of those weighing machines around, inside shops etc, in the streets. I'm sure there was one outside Woolworth's in Erdington High Street, and do I recall one in the old Kings Hall Market?

To me they seem to be one of those street features that's just disappeared, without hardly anyone really noticing.

Funny how we tend to think that vegetarian restaurants are a relatively modern thing. Roberts was offering a 'cheap and tasty dinner'! Viv

Very interested to read about Herbert Pollitt's Garage...he was my Grandfather, only met him twice when I was very young and would like to know more if anyone can help.
He had two of those Railtons when I was there Tom, one was smashed up where he'd supposedly crashed into a concrete anti tank bollard on a trip to France. While I was there my first job of the day was to clean out the office with a dustpan and brush then ride around town on the Gundle errand bike fetching spares for the workshop. I was there in March 1950 but only stayed a month, I was offered a better job nearer home. E.

I just posted this elsewhere but then thought about it and deleted it as it would have taken that thread off topic. Continuing from Mike's post at post #04 of this thread, I was looking for photos of the Pelican Works today and I came across this one,
Pelican Works.jpg
photo by P L Chadwick Geograph UK

It shows that like most listed buildings in Birmingham that The Pelican Works building is being allowed to crumble. In fact from the look of this photo taken in 2015 it doesn't look like it will be long before he pelican falls into the street.

Last edited:
I used to work at Cannings, in the engineering dep't across from the Gothic Pub, started when I was 14yrs old, left in 1953 to come to USA. Started in the engineering dept working with Archy Bellamy finished in the Xylo Shop making Plating Barrels. I remember a Mr Walker was the Supervisor of the whole building. Happy Days !!! Wallyb.

Love the bird on the roof extreme right.
Has this been mentioned in other sites, is it a pelican or a phoenix?
Cheers Tim

hi tim its a pelican on top of the pelican works..here is a better shot of it

lyn

pelican works.jpg

Thanks for that Lyn.
It's a bit weird for pelican, we are very lucky where we live her in our part of Oz as they are quite common in our local rivers and inlets.
Though a bit awkward on land they are as graceful as swans on the water and also in flight.
Cheers Tim

mike could i have a map please showing 19 and 20 gt hampton st..should be watts sadlers and e webbs date they were there about late 1800s early 1900s

thanks mike

lyn

Mike might be able to do better but this is a map from 1904 - 1905 the red marker is on the Church Inn, the second PH was the Leopard Inn (according to 1905 Kelly's) and 19 and 20 were next the Church Inn. Am attaching Kelly's list as well.

Attachments

• 1542740329864.png
    1542740329864.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 1542740363413.png
    1542740363413.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 29
A little bit difficult to determine exactly,, but I am pretty sure 19 & 20 were the two buildings I have marked below on Janice's map

map gt Hampton st c1904 showing 19 & 20.png

My great grandmother lived at 98 Gt Hamtpon Street. She was shown on the 1881 census having a 'small shop'. Would this have been in the front room of a house do you think?

Th e1882 Kellys, which would refer to 1881, lists no 98 as being Thomas, John & Alfred Fletcher, grocers and also John payne, engraver. , presumably upstairs or at the back. The c1889 map shows no 98 in red, which does not look like a small house
Would not say from this that it was just the front room of a house

map c 1889 showing 98 Gt Hampton St.jpg

Thanks for moving my post Mike. It says 'small shop' so I presumed it was just one she'd set up in her house but as you say it doesn't look like it. She was a clothes dealer and later moved to Summer Lane.

I have looked in vain for a dedicated thread to Great Hampton Street but cannot see one. I see bits and bobs dotted around the forum but this is a street that deserves its own thread. Well, in my humble opinion it does. Anyway, if this old turnpike road floats your boat I have published some bumpf at https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/great-hampton-street/
as usual fantastic info kieron...the photo you have on your site of the house on the corner of vyse st... its a shot i have never seen before ...i take it it was taken before the bank was built... think i have got the correct corner ...lyn

as usual fantastic info kieron...the photo you have on your site of the house on the corner of vyse st... its a shot i have never seen before ...i take it it was taken before the bank was built... think i have got the correct corner ...lyn

Yes Lyn, I think the bank, like many other buildings in the street, is being renovated.

Funny how we tend to think that vegetarian restaurants are a relatively modern thing. Roberts was offering a 'cheap and tasty dinner'! Viv

Frankenstein, along with his creator Mary Shelley, were veggies. Maybe influenced some in the 19th century. Mind you, it is said that Pythagoras was a veggie. Indeed, at one time those who eschewed meat were known as Pythagoreans.

Kieron
If you had clicked on the "search titles only" box, then you would have had only one page

Kieron
If you had clicked on the "search titles only" box, then you would have had only one page

Doh, the price of being a chump! However, I just tried that and it threw up another GHStreet thread :

Yes, and now realise there are also two just headed Gt Hampton Street. All have now been incorporated into this thread

Back