• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Hampton Row

Ah, the Little Brown Jug! The only place you could get beer worse than there was just round the corner in the Pelican - Yuk!
The gaffer of The Pelican in the 80s was a chap called Ray. He later took over The Church Inn where he sold Batham's Best Bitter and did really good meals. Happy days, don't know what it's like now.

hi BB do you mean ray and wife pat if so i worked for them when they had the pelly think they used to have the fox in hurst st but that would have been in the late 70s i think...i used the church inn in the early 70s when wilf had it..many happy hours spent in there i can tell you:)

lyn

hi BB do you mean ray and wife pat if so i worked for them when they had the pelly think they used to have the fox in hurst st but that would have been in the late 70s i think...i used the church inn in the early 70s when wilf had it..many happy hours spent in there i can tell you:)

lyn
Hi Lyn, yes it was Ray and Pat in the Church Inn. Sadly I didn't start drinking there until around 1991. Great pub and good beer. Got on well with Ray and I've got some photographs somewhere of his last day at The Pelican showing him locking up the pub for the last time.

Great Hampton Row junction.

“This is the junction on the Soho Road tram services, with Constitution Hill to the left of the large advertising hoarding and Livery Street to the right. The tram tracks to the left in front of the Rover 14 Sports Saloon are those in to Great Hampton Row. This line was built by the Birmingham & Aston Company but, because CBT would not agree to steam trams running over the cable tracks from the town centre and along Constitution Hill, CBT leased the line and only operated from inside Great Hampton Row: although there was a junction. it was onlv used for access.” (H. B. Priestley)
Birmingham before the electric tram by Harvey, D. R. (David R.), author. Publication date 2013.

IMG_0419.jpeg

Back