• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Hampton Row

W

Wendy

Here's a nice picture of Gt Hampton Row sent to me by a cousin in America we think its around 1900.

Attachments

• Great%20Hampton%20Row[1].jpg
    Great%20Hampton%20Row[1].jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
Blimey, it's well seeing there wasn't much traffic about in those days, have you noticed where the lamp is, Moma?!

More so Harborne..........have you noticed how CLEAN then street is? Not like todays streets!!!

Oh my, Harborne, thats why I love this site someone always spots something you don't. I had not noticed the street lamp isn't that just brilliant! I suppose you could drive around it:D

Thanks for the photo Harborne, my g.g. grandparents lived at 65 Gt. Hampton Street at the time of the 1881 census, he was a fishmonger, and it looks at though it was quite a smart area at the time.

Could it be the lamp is where it is because that isn't the street, it's a court yard - pedestrianised precinct as they call them now?

Yes it's a lovely clean street isn't it, despite the fact that there are children running around. It must have been pedestrianised, I suppose, or else there would have been very little traffic, e.g. the odd coach and horse maybe. It just shows how things - and people- have changed since then.

I suppose there wouldn't be any rubbish in those days as everything that wasn't needed would have been put on the fire. No plastic packaging and bags in those days! I wonder if the openness of this picture was because of the slum clearence prompted by Joseph Chamberlin. They knocked down some rows of houses to let in more light and air.

Sylvia could the photo possible have been taken in 1881? It looks to me as if it could.

Harborne, I don't know when the photo was taken, I have another one somewhere I was trying to compare with but can't put my hands on it at the moment, but from memory it was definitely shabbier.

Hi I was Just looking at your photo... Fantastic. My Great grandfather x 2 lived in 63 Great Hampton row in 1911 . His name was Thomas Lewis and he was a licensed victualler.

Do you really believe that this picture is of Great Hampton Street? I cannot see where it would have been taken.

Whookps! Just realised that I typed Street instead of Row. Great Hampton Row. By the way I have a photo of "Loo Blooms" Gents Tailors which was very close to St. Georges Church but on the opposite side of the road. My grandparents lived at the rear.

we moved to great hampton row in 1966 my father still lives there now.but for the life of me i cant work out where this photo was taken.if the graveyard was in the pic it would have been better.there seems to be another street on the left which im thinking could be unett st.

hi brummypaddy..ive struggled with that pic since i saw it and like you i just cant work it out...pretty sure though that the road to the left is not unett st as on the corner of gt hampton row and unett street stood the st georges vaults pub which as you will know is now where the maisonettes are now and on the opposite corner to the vaults is what used to be the little brown jug pub..my family moved to uxbridge st in 1972 and have have only recently left so your dad may know our mom and dad...

lyn.

Attachments

• img037.jpg
    img037.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
oh my god i never knew there was a pub there thats a great pic astoness thanks a million.what was your mom and dads name?i went back home 3 yrs ago and i couldnt beleive the place everyone has left now only the older generation including my dad are left.thanks to b'ham council have destroyed a good community although the area has been cleaned up and looks very nice.i miss that area terrible sometimes but could never go back and live there.we used to spend hours in tower st park annoying the park caretaker i think his name was bill.god he used to give us some slaps hahaha.

I don,t think photo*1 is a street where are the kerbs.If you look at the photo there,s a line down the middle I believe this to be a rain water gulley. I knew G.H.R. it ran down to Wheeler St which was opposite the end.I wonder if the trams ran down there at that time? I would say the photo was1910- 25 I think this must have been a Terrace although there are a lot of houses. Dek

I don,t think photo*1 is a street where are the kerbs.If you look at the photo there,s a line down the middle I believe this to be a rain water gulley. I knew G.H.R. it ran down to Wheeler St which was opposite the end.I wonder if the trams ran down there at that time? I would say the photo was1910- 25 I think this must have been a Terrace although there are a lot of houses. Dek

tend to agree with you dek....cant see traffic going down as there is a lampost in the middle..dont think we will ever solve this one..the only thing i did think of that it may have been st georges place gt hampton row..marked on this map...

Attachments

• st georges church map.jpg
    st georges church map.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
oh my god i never knew there was a pub there thats a great pic astoness thanks a million.what was your mom and dads name?i went back home 3 yrs ago and i couldnt beleive the place everyone has left now only the older generation including my dad are left.thanks to b'ham council have destroyed a good community although the area has been cleaned up and looks very nice.i miss that area terrible sometimes but could never go back and live there.we used to spend hours in tower st park annoying the park caretaker i think his name was bill.god he used to give us some slaps hahaha.

hi brummypaddy i have sent you a private message...

Thanks for the map Lyn does look more likely this was not my side of town but did go to our office in Barr St and often walked into town using the to end of G.H.R. Dek

i know where you mean dek...i love that map as it has helped me find me bearings more than once...

lyn

A larger section of Great Hampton Row can not see any think that looks like this photograph

Attachments

• great hampton row 7.JPG
    great hampton row 7.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
A larger section of Great Hampton Row can not see any think that looks like this photograph

thanks john...ive always had my doubts as to the location of the pic...it just seems to clean..neat and tidy to be gt hampton row...as im sure in those days the housing round there was not that good....would love to be certain though

lyn

Last edited:
Hello brummypaddy! Your picture of St. George's Vaults shows the pub to be on the corner of Great Hampton Row and Unett Street. The street names are clearly visible if the photo is enlarged. It would have stood on the left hand corner of Unett Street if you had your back to the church. This is confirmed by the shadow thrown by the building - always assuming that the photograph was taken around the middle part of the day which I think is most likely. I remember the spot from seventy years ago but I can't recall the pub unfortunately. Regards. willey

The original photo that I have re posted on this thread has been posted on the Facebook page. This was a comment made by Dot Cooper. The photo looks like Colemore Terrace in Great Hampton Row. Two of my aunts lived there in the 1940s. This may explain the confusion.

Hi Wendy, Thanks to your cousin in USA who sent the picture of Gt Hampton Row my Great Granddad Thomas Mayo my Great Grandmother Esther nee Ingram with there children Thomas & Ivy .. My granddad said his dad used to drink in the Minerva Pub.
My Gt Gran was a Dress Maker along with Ivy Gt Granddad was a building worker a Plasterer while Thomas was a Silver Polisher ..

Once again Wendy may Thanks Pete Ex Pat

He wasn't the only one to drink in the Minerva Vaults. I spent many a Saturday lunchtime there with workmates when I worked at Cannings between '61 and '72. Unlike the White Horse Cellars (another watering hole of mine from that period) I believe it's still there and still trading as a "proper" pub.

Back