• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great grandfathers war record

J

jjw

Dont know if this is of interest to anyone, its My Dads grandfathers war record. It Makes me feel very proud.

(extract from Army Records) Samuel Wassall, WO364/4491
Enlisted as Private number 33387 in the Worcester Regiment on 10 December 1915. Discharged on 8 November 1917 at Warwick, aged 37 years 9 months, height 5ft 6½ins, chest 39½ins, complexion fresh, eyes grey, hair dark, trade Sand Blaster, as no longer physically fit for War Service with gun shot wound to cheek. Character and conduct good.
Served in France from 24 November 1916 to 27 April 1917 and was in action in France on 26 April 1917. Total service 1 year and 105 days. Samuel died on 22 March 1919 so his pension stopped a week later. He is commemorated in Witton Cemetery, Birmingham.

Description
Medal card of Wassall, Samuel
Corps Regiment No Rank
Worcestershire Regiment Depot 33387 Private
Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/21links to the Catalogue
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War
Piece Ward H - Wilson F
Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

You have a right to be proud, JJW. ...age 37; shot in the cheek...died in 1919. Your ggrandad made a great sacrifice for his country, and his family must have suffered tremendously, but I thank God such men were fighting for Britain.

I can only echo what Fellowkev has said you have a right to be proud. You are so lucky to have this record, as only one in three survive from WW1. What a treasure.

Back