• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

G & J Zair

sistersue61

master brummie
Hi All,
Could someone please see if there is a Zayers leather firm, in central Birmingham, would be early 1900's onwards, G.Grandad died in 1945 aged 70.
Also, bit of a wild shot, apparently one of his brothers had a leather works in Walsall, I presume called Tisdales, is there a record of this too?
Sue

Sue
Are you sure you have spelling correct. Have looked up to 1940 and there is no firm Zayers listed, but there is a firm G & J Zair, 111-117 Bishop St, whip manmufacturers. They presumably would have worked in leather.
Mike

That's brilliant Mike - the spelling is what I have from my 2nd cousins article in Carl ChinnsOld Brum series, but there are a few errors that we are sure of in it, so there is every chance that the spelling was wrong.
Great grandad was a whip thong maker,so that makes even more sense, he apparently used to get his leather from Zairs and then the whips were sent to a company in Walsall, which we now think may have belonged to his brother, George. In the 1911 census George is a whip thong maker of his own accord, living in Gnosall, Staffs. My aunt used to address the whip parcels, she is trying to recall the name and address of the firm, but she says at 89, her memory isn't as quick!
Thanks again Mike, another link in the chain.
Sue

Thanks for that Pollypops, I think we went there many years ago, but will look at the site, have done a bit more digging on 1911 census now and found that G Grandads father and brother both had whip making businesses, but were in Staffordshire, Eccleshall and Gnosall then,unless they had more than one business, or lived a distance away from it.
I feel the ancestry buzz starting again!
Sue

john zair was my great great grandfather, he and his brother george ,travelled all over the world buying leather for whips, apparently you can still buy them on ebay!have really enjoyed finding out the family history compiling my family tree. zilla

Zilla, must have missed this reply, sorry, were there any records from the company showing employees - andif so, would you be able to see if Robert Thomas Tisdalewas one of them please?
This confirms some of the history we have though, thanks a lot.
Sue

Sue
Are you sure you have spelling correct. Have looked up to 1940 and there is no firm Zayers listed, but there is a firm G & J Zair, 111-117 Bishop St, whip manmufacturers. They presumably would have worked in leather.
Mike

I remember back in the 50's When I was an electricians mate going to that place to fit some new lights. and being surprised to see the old machinery they still had working it did the plaiting on the whips.
I've done a 'google' search and found this site, scroll down about 10 places.
https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Birmingham-G.html

Back