• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Brook Street Aston - Where is /was it?

jativey

knowlegable brummie
Hi There! :smitten:

My rellies the Price family lived at 155 Great Brook Street Aston in 1851. Does anyone have a map of where this was/is?

Has anyone got photos of this a area?

Cheers
Jan Tivey :D

Great Brook Street runs across the top of Barrack Street and Windsor Street only a small remnant of it remains.

:angel: Hope this helps

Chris :angel:

Attachments

• Nechells Great Brook St (1).jpg
    Nechells Great Brook St (1).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
came across this picture i don,t know what year it would have been

Attachments

• Nechells Great Brook Streer by Vauxhall Rd.jpg
    Nechells Great Brook Streer by Vauxhall Rd.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 56
That house in post#4 was just to the left of Willis St i dont know which end 155 was as the bottom end had some grand houses where the top end consisted of the normal type houses for that area although the address is down as Aston it was in Ashted---Duddeston there are photos of that area on the Gosta Green through Duddeston Thread Dek

The photo post #4 might be the house just prior to Vauxhall Road Dek. It loosks very similar to the Phylis Nicklin photo of that junction. The area was supposed to become an upscale place to live with Vauxhall Gardens just across from the end of Great Brook St., but the need for industry won out and the earlier plans dissappeared under sub-standard housing for the workers. The houses shown here though were rather grand and fairly large. The one shown would have occupied a prime spot when built...for a while anyway. It is such a sad picture #4...people still live there seemingly and although delapidated the house still seems to be cared for and still clinging to existance as the last vestige of a prviouse time.

Ref map for the area...https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10094&ox=4348&oy=3116&zm=1&czm=1&x=454&y=286

Looking at the map I think the house is the one at the right hand end of the street...just looking at the street sign and lamp post and wall. The houses behind are the back yards of the houses on Ashted Row. Since the rest of the houses are still there in 1950s when Phylis took her pictures...the photo #4 must be when demolition was taking place later. You can pan around on the map by clicking it off-centre and this will bring that point to centre.

Folks this request was 4 years ago, he/she has posted since so it must have been alright the answer.

It makes me very sad when I look at all the pictures of old places, that we couldn't keep them, or rebuild in the same style, instead of the boxes that we get today.

Fashionz

Rupert i,ve got to say it does look as though you are correct but as you say the houses were demolished around 1960 as i remember them in all there glory the reason i think it is by Willis st is that i believe the photo in post #4 is older to the left of the house is the branches of a tree. The house would be just below and almost opposite St James which as you know was bombed out.next to the house was a bomb peck.The houses at the back were as you say on Ashted Row but are of poor quality,The houses at the bottom of Ashted Row that backed on to Gt Brook St were of high quality detached type. Dek

jjj,

As John says in his post #6 until 1911 Ashted was part of Aston, the OP (jativey) was looking for information on his family from 1851 when Ashted was still part of Aston.

Hi Guys
My Great-Grandmother, Granny & Father lived on Great'Brook St, number 16 on the 1939 Electrol Register..
My Dad was only 8yrs old at the time..
His granny was florence Stubley,
Mother Phyllis Burgess(nee) Stubley & Dad Kenneth Burgess..
I heard the house was Bombed out in the 2nd World War & they then moved to Sparkbrook..

Thank god no one was in the house at the time it was bombed

Lisa

great brook street was not in aston it was ashted called after dr ash who built snt james church
According to Bill Dargue, Ashted was originally called Ashsted or Ashstead. S. James Church was not built by Dr. John Ash but by Dr. John Brooke, who, Bill says, was County Coroner and a lawyer. Brooke bought the house and land, adding more land to it, after Ash moved to London. Brooke converted the former large Ash house to became St. John's Anglican church.
https://billdargue.jimdofree.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-a/ashted/

Hi There! :smitten:

My rellies the Price family lived at 155 Great Brook Street Aston in 1851. Does anyone have a map of where this was/is?

Has anyone got photos of this a area?

Cheers
Jan Tivey :D
Hi jativy I was looking for trace of Prices arriving in Bham about then. Any idea where your Prices came in from and job/profession please, as a matter of interest (not related to Prices but on another matter of interest).

Back