• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Barr Quarry, now ASDA

The father of my best man dug the quarry virtually single handed; well with the help of a huge excavator of course. He worked at the quarry for as long as I can remember; I was born in Corbridge Avenue in 1939, but lived in Heston Avenue most of my life, from September 1939.

Where old Jim was concerned, I think it's a bit sad to see your life's work filled in with rubbish is it not!

John Walker

it was and up the lane which if I remember rightly was called sandy lane was the other part of the works where they dug up and shipped the sand to the queslett road plant . old booths farm house that is no longer standing was also storage bay for blue circle cement . I know it all well has I was born and lived in Ashworth road there was a road between my house and the quarry . I loved the place, in my memory of how it all was i still do, it was my big front garden has a child . I used to wag school ( perry beeches and calshot little school ) over there it was super fun there was always lots of frogs and newts and stickle backs pike and roach in the lakes , a lot of people went fishing over there . In my mad teenage years I was with a bike gang called the mad mob it was our stomping ground and sorry to say although in them days was accepted as one of the scrambler clan that loved to ride there bikes over there . I had a montessa trials bike .. oooo the memories ..I do have some photos somewhere have to try and sort them out . Just ask I'm sure I could tell you lots about this wonderful place ...
Pinky;
I share your memories of 'The Willow Woods'. Happy days I still think of when I get stressed out a bit!!! I lived in Heston Avenue, on the Booths Farm Estate, and the 'Woods' were my playground!

I think you'll find that 'Sandy Lane' is next to the Beeches Road School, and runs from Aldridge Road to Beeches Road. The lane that was un-adopted, was called Booths Lane, and it is what's left of the access road that the gravel company built. They closed off the original Booths Lane and what's left of it is still in existence; what used to be the original junction with Sandy Lane. Hope that helps.

John

In the early seventies my husband attended Great Barr Comprehensive School, he tells me they used to have the "Cross Country Running Event" through there. He was also one of the lads who used to go Bike riding over there from Kingstanding, they had an old BSA Bantam. He loved to fish the pools too, especially the one near the Asda end, behind the wood yard, which had lots of specimen Perch. They had Air Guns too, & used to like hitting the Bullrush heads, & making them explode... Happy Days!

The father of my best man dug the quarry virtually single handed; well with the help of a huge excavator of course. He worked at the quarry for as long as I can remember; I was born in Corbridge Avenue in 1939, but lived in Heston Avenue most of my life, from September 1939.

Where old Jim was concerned, I think it's a bit sad to see your life's work filled in with rubbish is it not!

John Walker
Hi John
Do you remember the Roberts family living two doors down from you at No. 41?( between Mr. and Mrs Cavill and Mr. and Mrs. Shore)
Best wishes
Jacqueline

Back