• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Barr Hall; Lady Mildred Anne Bateman And Scott

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
GREAT BARR HALL: Lady Mildred Anne Bateman and Scott

Lady Mildred Anne Bateman and Scott was the last of the” Scott family” to occupy GREAT BARR HALL, and she died there in 1909.

She was born in Carmarthen in 1828 and was the eldest daughter of Sir W Hartopp of Four Oaks Hall. She married Sir Francis Edward Scott (3rd Baronet) in 1854. In the marriage with Sir Francis Scott there were two sons and three daughters. Both sons and one daughter died before her. Sir Francis Scott died at the age of 39 in 1863, as did her own father. She was remarried in 1868 to Sir Edward Packenham Alderson, who in turn died in 1876 at the age of 48, and then she remained a widow.

In 1909 The Walsall Advertiser gives her a long obituary and describes her as “not only a great personality, but by her commanding, yet nevertheless charming ways, she won the respect and esteem of all that were privileged to come in contact with her. In the Great Barr district she was very much beloved, and will be missed in a variety of ways....She was a great benefactress...

...Lady Scott was never so happy as when dispensing hospitality. Her one delight was to have plenty of company around her, and more charming a hostess could not be found. Many of the leading men of the present and past years have been guests at Great Barr Hall.

...She took a keen interest in political and social life not only in the county of Stafford, but also in the town of Birmingham. She was a staunch Conservative, and not only gave her support to the party, but actively canvassed in several campaigns.”

In February 1863 Sir Francis was forced to leave Great Barr Hall due to impaired health. The Estate of 500 acres was up for sale and would continue for 6 months, and if not sold would be Let or dismantled. The Sale Price was £50,000. Sir Francis in fact died at St Leonard’s-on-Sea in the November of that year.

In the year or her remarriage, 1868, there is a further advert for the Hall to be Let, and a sale of furniture in 1869. In 1873 it was the address of JR Carpenter. It could well be that Lady Scott lived in London until after the death of her second husband in 1876 as there is a record in the Globe personal and court notes that in May 1877 she had left for Great Barr Hall. Her address in the 1881 census is given as Elton Square in London, but in 1891 she is at Great Barr Hall as widow with her sister and about thirteen sevants.

In her will Lady Scott directed the her diamond necklace, the "Scott necklace,” should be sold and the proceeds held upon trust to keep in order the Scott family vault in Great Barr Church in perpetuity, and the surplus to be used for the repair of the Church, or should the trust fail, then the proceeds to be held on trust for the Luckocks Dole, Cox's Dole, and Bromwich Charity.

In October 1911, by order of the trustees of the will of the late Sir Arthur Douglas Scott (died 1884) a portion of the Great Barr Hall Estate, of some 1191 acres, together with the Mansion were put up for sale. The West Bromwich Board of Guardians caused surprise when they purchased the estate and Hall for £28,000. In December it was stated that the Local Government Board had sanctioned a loan of £24,500 for the cost of Great Barr Hall Estate, the period of payment being 55 years and at a rate of 3.5? Per cent.

interesting read pedro....can anyone shed light on where or is gt barr church

lyn

St Margaret's Church, Great Barr, is on Chapel Lane, opposite Great Barr Park and also the (now fenced off) entrance to Great Barr Hall. Chapel Lane runs from the A34 Birmingham Road up to Barr Beacon. By all accounts St Margaret's is a very active church - I went to a wedding there a few years back, and it's impressive.

Great Barr Hall is in a very dilapidated state and appears to be beyond restoration.

G

thanks for the info G i will go and hunt the church down....this video was shot last year...makes me weep and i wonder what lady scott would now make of her once beloved home...very sad and no way back for this building i fear:(

Last edited:
Lady Scott had married in 1854 and presumably moved to Great Barr Hall. As mentioned above this is the advert for 1863 and the asking price is 50K.

58 years later the WB Guardians buy it for 28K.

3F131BC0-E4B0-48CD-A880-61DC40315632.jpeg

Lady Bateman Scott had died in December 1909 and a year later,in 1910, a memorial was placed by public subscription in the Church.. A large window was unveiled by her nephew the Marquis of Salisbury. The vicar of Great Barr sang her praises and said that the windows would commemorate Lady Scott after the home of generations of Scotts no longer remained . Within another year in 1911 the Hall and Estate was sold to become the Great Barr Mental Defficiency Colony.

950628A5-2D32-4788-99D9-6E744BB40355.jpeg

thanks pedro a well liked and repected lady by the sounds of it...i must take a closer look at the church when time permits

lyn

Report of a visit, apparently this month, to the hall;

Thanks Mike. Can’t imagine any of this will now survive, it’s beyond repair. Very sad to see it fading over the years. Some of these photographers certainly take a risk filming these derelict buildings. Viv.

In 1961 as a pupil at Great Barr Comprehensive School on Aldridge Road we used to Cross Country Run in grounds of Great Barr Hall. During a run when I was about age 13, I badly cut my foot on a broken bottle during it. I was taken to Great Barr Hall, the nearest building for help, and was admitted by an elderly lady, who I was later told was a recluse, and that not many people had seen the inside of it. The entrance to the Hall was very large and imposing, with stone staircases. She got one of her staff to call me an ambulance. I never did find out who she was, and have not been able to find this information.

A staircase at the Hall. No date for this one. The Hall, sadly looks worse and worse every time you look at it. This satellite view shows how damaged it is. Is it still owned by a local consortium? It's on the buildings at risk register which means very little these days, as does its grade 2 listing. Very sad.

Screenshot_20231121_000158_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231121_152948_Maps.jpg

Back