• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Barr Colony

mazoob

Hi there, I have a relative who died at this hospital (later called St Margaret's) in 1970. She had lived there a long time. Did they do burials there as there is mention of a chapel on site and St Margret's church in the area. I would like to find her grave. Also would her medical/ admission records be held at "Walsall History centre" in Essex street , Walsall. Many thanks for any information.

Hi there, I have a relative who died at this hospital (later called St Margaret's) in 1970. She had lived there a long time. Did they do burials there as there is mention of a chapel on site and St Margret's church in the area. I would like to find her grave. Also would her medical/ admission records be held at "Walsall History centre" in Essex street , Walsall. Many thanks for any information.
Have a look at the thread below. It might not have the specific information you are looking for but there are 80 plus posts in the thread. A post there might send email alerts to most members who posted in the thread.

Hospital records are a sensitive issue. Records from 1970 would still be "closed" and I doubt you would get access.
Hi. As a youngster attending Beeches Road, school, we would be warned to stay away from the mental Hospital, as it was dangerous to play near there. Later, I remember a man escaped and committed a murder in the area. Anyone else recall this?

Hi. As a youngster attending Beeches Road, school, we would be warned to stay away from the mental Hospital, as it was dangerous to play near there. Later, I remember a man escaped and committed a murder in the area. Anyone else recall this?

Yes it is true. I believe it was around 1960-ish and around Halloween time. Cynthia Stride was apparently the victim, she lived on Queslett Road just a few houses away from the main entrance.

I remember "the murder" I recon it was mid to late 50's. I was in the junior school at the time and remember acting out the incident in the playground. Wasn't somebody killed with an axe, or was that our vivid childhood imaginations.

November 1956, Birmingham Daily Post

View attachment 150166
That was it! I remember the mention of the shed now. Funny isn't it, after all these years how something like this comes back to you. I was only a kid then, now I am 80! OMG! It would be in the early fifties, as I was at Beeches Road, when it happened, and we moved away shortly after that happened.

Last edited:
Back