• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Great Barr Colony home for mental defects

Miranda Squire

Hi all,
I was wondering how to get a hold of medical records of the patients of Great Barr Colony . I believe my great grandmother was put in there after giving birth to an illegitimate child . Possibly around 1917

Many thanks
Miranda

As they did not start taking mental cases (if I can put it like that) until 1918 you may come up against the 100 year closure rule. More info about the asylum if you google search "Great barr colony" and click on link to workhouse site. I can't post links from my phone but will do it later from laptop.

Last edited:
I was wondering how to get a hold of medical records of the patients of Great Barr Colony . I believe my great grandmother was put in there after giving birth to an illegitimate child . Possibly around 1917

Many thanks
Miranda

If you have not already seen it there is some discussion about the hospital in a forum thread here
St Margarets Hospital - Great Barr
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...rgarets-hospital-great-barr.15515/post-110960

As they did not start taking mental cases (if I can put it like that) until 1918 you may come up against the 100 year closure rule. More info about the asylum if you google search "Great barr colony" and click on link to workhouse site. I can't post links from my phone but will do it later from laptop.
thanks so much for that . Interesting place .... , wouldnt want to have stayed there !!

Hi all,

Many thanks
Miranda
Miranda
Did you ever find medical records for the patients.
Regards
Di

Back