• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Graves at St. Mary's Church, Whittall Street

Chris_Baker

master brummie
My family live on Whittall Street and Weaman Street for many years and I have found that several of them were buried in St. Mary's churchyard cemetery. I have seen a news clipping ("Birmingham Gazette" of Tuesday 24 September 1929) that suggests that the remains were relocated to Witton Cemetery. Can anyone confirm that or know where in Witton Cemetery the new graves were located?

See thread under

St Mary's Chapel Whittall Street post 6: which states: St Mary's was demolished in 1927 and the Western half of the land used for the site of the General Hospital, 1927. All coffins were removed to Witton cemetery. The Eastern half was cleared 1952-3 with 2,497 coffins to Warstone Lane Cemetery, and the land used for the Inner Ring Road. Individual re-burials plots will not be identifiable.

Back