• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chadwick family Gravelly Hill Erdington

Rusb

I wondered if anyone could help me with some information. I was born in 1954 and lived my early years at 49 gravelly hill. I remember it being a large house. My grandfather Albert Chadwick died a year before I was born. He lived there with my grandma Rose chadwick as did my parents George and Joan. Does anyone remember this house, I wondered did my grandparents own the property or was it a residence of rented rooms. My grandfather was a High Class painter and decorator of churches, schools and Stately homes.

In 1955 16 people,mostly with different names were on the electoral roll at 49 Gravelly hill, including a Rose Chadwick & a George E Chadwick. No Albert. In 1960 it is listed as having 5 people of voting age , no Chadwick and is listed as either 2 or 3 flats.

Many thanks for your info. Do you know of any other residents in the house, I think I can remember a carnell family(if that's how it is spelt).

Charles & Winifred Brady, Bernard Corcoran, Frank Gillsman, Patrick Heenan, Henry Leneghan, Dennis Macken, Patrick Neville, Frank Wilding,George E & Rose Chadwick,, Dennis & Ivy Carnell, Alan & Christine Hughes, Michael & Jean Joyce, and ronald Langley

Hi thanks for more information. but i can't understand why my mum Joan chadwick wasn't listed as she married George Chadwick in 1953 and then lived at 49 gravelly hill with Rose Chadwick . Also would you know if Dennis and Ivy Carnell are still alive . Many Thanks.

I had a look for joan chadwick in 1955, and there were 5 on the electoral roll. Probably no use but in case it is any help I list them below:
Joan G & George chadwick (with dennis & Ethel C Earp at 26 Aston church Road
Joan chadwick at metchley park road, queen elizabeth hospital (was she a nurse?)
Joan & herbert chadwick & Joyce Harvey . at 45 Beaudesert Road
Joan chadwick, kathleen highland, Patricia McDonough & Helen N Owen at 93 Harborne Road
Joan chadwick, Michael J & Mary Cannon, Patricia burke, william Feeney & Harold Price at 5 Plough & Harrow road

Back