• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Granville Street Ladywood

Hi Thomas, my mom was born in Benacre street in 1906 27th July, she married in 1926, lived in Duke
street for a short time before moving to Granville street next door to our grand patents Isabella and George. Mom went on to have 10 children only 6 of us survived 4 boys and two girls.
I'm not on Ancestry. I have attached photos of mom and baby Len, mom and May, photo of Isabella
on own her own, my mom & dads wedding day.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Hi Thomas, my mom was born in Benacre street in 1906 27th July, she married in 1926, lived in Duke
street for a short time before moving to Granville street next door to our grand patents Isabella and George. Mom went on to have 10 children only 6 of us survived 4 boys and two girls.
I'm not on Ancestry. I have attached photos of mom and baby Len, mom and May, photo of Isabella
Wow that's absolutely amazing!!

I have a picture here of William (aka Bill/Billy) and another one of him and his wife Floss (in the middle - woman on left is their son's mother-in-law)

Bill.png Bill, Floss + Laura.png

I knew her date of birth and that she passed away in 1986. I knew she had a son Leslie as Bill and Floss' son Albert (my granddad) had met him in the Hubert Road Social Club in Selly Oak. Which one of the children are you as so far I have discovered John, Leslie, May, Margaret and Albert (the other children I could not find - possibly name mis-spelt on Ancestry or was not registered) - I now know that May was one of the 4 that passed away.

Last edited:
I knew her date of birth and that she passed away in 1986. I knew she had a son Leslie as Bill and Floss' son Albert (my granddad) had met him in the Hubert Road Social Club in Selly Oak. Which one of the children are you as so far I have discovered John, Leslie, May, Margaret and Albert (the 6th child I could not find - possibly name mis-spelt on Ancestry).
Hi Thomas, mom's children..... I'm Albert ,John died some years ago, Les passed away 4 years ago a great loss to us as we were very close, my lovely youngest sister Lillian died when she was only 52,
So myself Margaret and my older bother Alfie are still around.
We have just come back from a family celebration this weekend, and while in Brum l took my five grandsons to the back to back houses in Hurst street to show them why l am very proud of my humble beginning and proud to be a Brummie. Thank you so much for photos

What lovely photographs!

Just to query - on the photo with your mom and May; is it May the sister or Len's wife May??

I know your mom Lily was one of seven children - Isabella (the real name of your aunt May in the photo with your mom), George, Albert, William "Bill/Billy", Charles and Leonard. I know you have bits of info on May, Billy and Len but do you know anything about the other siblings?

Aerial photo (date 1935) of Granville Street from Broad Street (bottom left) to the Canal Bridge. Courtyards visible either side of the street.
GranvilleSt1935.jpg
source 'britainfromabove'. Click the pic once, then click magnify icon to enlarge and scroll ... To save the pic, click once and then right click and save-as

Last edited:
Don't know a lot , l can remember mum taking taking me to visit auntie May ( Isabella ) who lived in a beautiful house in Mosley with her second husband. Rupert her first husband had passed away, then she lost her second husband , after that auntie May became ill and went into Rubery hospital, l went with mom to visit her there but really don't know what happened after that, Auntie May didn't have any children.
George went to live in Telford, l think he passed away in the late sixties, Albert and George worked for the post office, Albert lived in Kingstanding . I don't know a great deal , Les would would have known a lot more but l was so young.

From what I've heard or searched about since I enquired - May (Isabella) married a man called Arthur Matthews first and lived in Balsall Heath (near Moseley) and worked as a barmaid and after her husband passed away she married again to Raymond Sallis. She passed away in 1966.

George married his first wife Ethel in Devon but she passed away in 1933 in her early 30's and had a son Albert who passed away in 1960 in his 30's. He re-married to a woman called Edith 1934 in Winchester (Hampshire) and moved to Birmingham with her and had a daughter called Audrey who passed within months of her birth. He lived in Dyas Road in Kingstanding for many years and must have moved to Telford after a while like you said. He passed away in 1982 in Birmingham.

Albert married his wife Alice Reeves in 1935 and had three children Kenneth, Roy (passed away young) and David. He also lived in Kingstanding and worked as a Temporary Postman (Electric Joiner by Trade) and passed away in 1977.

William "Bill/Billy" (my great-grandfather) married Florence "Floss" Jones in 1933 and had two children Albert and Sheila. They lived in William Street for many years before moving to King's Norton for a few years and then returning nearer the area in Lee Bank (Edgbaston) before he passed away in 1972. Floss passed away in 1993 and his daughter Sheila passed away in 1994 and his son Albert (my grandfather) passed away in 2005. My granddad Albert met your brother Leslie (I mentioned this in a previous post).

Charles "Charlie" married his wife Charlotte in 1935 and had three children Brian (passed away in 1998), Shirley and John. He lived near Birmingham City Centre for a few years before moving to Aston. He passed away in 1991.

Unfortunately I do not know much about Leonard other than that he married Mary (May) in 1962 as she was his second wife I think. I think he passed away in 1985 and that he lived in Ward End or thereabouts.

Didn't know George moved back to Birmingham, because mom and l visited him in hospital in Talford
where he was very ill, l presumed he had passed away then,when did Edith pass away..Goodness me how old was Floss when she passed away. Yes Len lived in Ward End with May .

Didn't know George moved back to Birmingham, because mom and l visited him in hospital in Talford
where he was very ill, l presumed he had passed away then,when did Edith pass away..Goodness me how old was Floss when she passed away. Yes Len lived in Ward End with May .
George might have just passed away in Birmingham he might still have lived in Telford - maybe he was moved hospitals but maybe his health improved for a short while as his wife Edith also passed away in Birmingham in 1983. Floss was 81 when she passed away.

Hi everyone, I've just registered witn Birminghamhistory.
Does anyone remember the Bridge Tavern (Inn) Pub at 128 Granville Street?
My mother's family used to run it - called Pagett.
I can trace them at that address, but when I go back earlier, there is only another Pagett family at 45 Granville Street.
I'm trying to ascertain whether they are related. Any memories gratefully appreciated :)
Thanks,
Mike.

As the pub at 128 Granville St seems to have disappeared around 1935, I think it unlikely that anyone will remember it. What period of time are you referring to?

There was a pub in Granville Street when I worked there in the late 1950s, on the right a hundred yards or so, maybe more, down from the Tennant Street turn, I don't know what it was called, I'm not a pub goer.

Looking at Street View, this appears to be the oldest building in Granville Street. I cannot tell if it is 128 but it is in the correct area, looks like it might have been a pub and is near the canal bridge. Don't know if any of this helps.
1586173492148.png

There was a pub in Granville Street when I worked there in the late 1950s, on the right a hundred yards or so, maybe more, down from the Tennant Street turn, I don't know what it was called, I'm not a pub goer.
Hi Eric,
Thanks for tyour message Eric.
If it's 100 yards, then it's probably not the Bridge Inn. I saw another pub marked on an old map in about the position you mentioned. However, the canal is quite a bit further on from the Tennant Street turn and I think this is where the Bridge Inn was. Thanks though :)
Mike.

Last edited:
Back