• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grantham Road (Sparkbrook) bombings

brummielink

knowlegable brummie
My grandmother's sister, Elsie Allwood was killed during a bombing raid December 1940 whilst at home. She lived at 3 Grantham Road, Sparkbrook. I have found the link to BARRAS on your site and noted the information provided. Are there any images anywhere of Grantham Road around the time of the air raids?

My grandmother's sister, Elsie Allwood was killed during a bombing raid December 1940 whilst at home. She lived at 3 Grantham Road, Sparkbrook. I have found the link to BARRAS on your site and noted the information provided. Are there any images anywhere of Grantham Road around the time of the air raids?
Unfortunately no wartime pics of Grantham Rd but here are two aerial views taken in 1946 from the south. Grantham Rd and Christ Church towards the right and Stratford Rd on the left. Perhaps someone with a detailed map can identify number 3 and we can try zooming in closer. It is probably opposite the church and I can't immediately see damage there but they did repair some houses quickly in those times.
1GranthamRd.jpg

2GranthamRd1946.jpg
'britainfromabove' images

Sorry I have no photos of Grantham Road during the war years, but I can tell you that the only area of Grantham Road that was bombed during the war was at the junction of Farm Road where the maisonettes that were built in the 50's stand. It seems that Sparkbrook suffered because it was either the beginning or the end of the bomb run for the BSA.

Last edited:
Comparing with a 1914 map which shows buildings fully on the corner with Farm Rd, this zoomed view from a different angle does seem to show buildings missing where I have marked.
3GranthamRd1946.jpg

As I have stated I have no images of Grantham Road during the war years, and although these two images are somewhat earlier they give some idea of what the area was like. Number 3 would have been somewhat opposite Christchurch on the left.

Sparkbrook Grantham 1915.jpgSparkbrook Grantham Rd looking towards Farm Rd .jpg

Thank you very much for the photos and location indicators.
The 1939 register has 9 people living at no.3 and the photos show good sized houses.
I think Elsie and her mother may have been running a boarding house as the names of the residents were unrelated and one other unrelated person, possibly renting a room there, was also killed at no.3.
Thank you. You've been a great help.

Back