• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grant family Garrison Lane

Caption appears to be wrong. Eliza (and Job) had 6 children (including twins) and at the time of the picture all 6 appear to be still alive.

No, I was mistaken, though the caption still seems to be wrong. I think the lady is Selina Brayne (formerly Grant, nee Tallis), Eliza's mother in law. Her husband Thomas Grant died in 1891 and she re-married in 1899.

Also I don't think she was 90, she was born in 1938.

Last edited:
I thought the old lady was Selina who was Job's mother.
1911 census living with daughter Hannah but then back in Birmingham with Job on 1930 eroll.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Yes, I've just been editing my original post. I knew I had something wrong when the children were too young to have grandchildren.

Yes, I've just been editing my original post. I knew I had something wrong when the children were too young to have grandchildren.
Thanks.
I was puzzled by the Brayne surname but think she reverts to Grant later.
I wasn't sure about the 1837 birth either.

Her death appears to be registered as Brayne. It looks like she was only married to Thomas Brayne for little over a year before he died.

Back