• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GRANGE ROAD, SMALL HEATH

Hi, what a shock seeing that address! I was born in that house in 1949 and have happy memories of that area. At the end of the avenue where it meets Grange road, there was a street lamp where "Teddy Boys" in their green, red and blue drapes used to hang around! I left when I was 6 years old and moved to the new block of flats at the Yew Tree. Gas fire, hot water, private bath, lovely!

Kev

i'm doing a family history on my family from england and came across a address they lived 9 laburnum avenue and grange rd small heath i was wondering if anyone has any photos of the street or area around the 1900's.
thank you lisa

thank you Bernie for the pics i don't think they would of been different for the time i am looking for.

I worked at Houses the bakery in muntz st that would be in the early 40s, i also did some nights at Wimbushes in the 50s,i also made use of the baths at green lane in the 40s,we also went to the swimming there, happy days.

Bank's definitely ran a fishing tackle shop in Green la, Melody's brother Paul (Triumph Vitesse convertable V6, the 'Herald' obviously not up to scratch) hung out at the ice rink with my older brothers, Banks sold air rifles as well, myself and brother bought BSA .22s and went down to Tyseley railway yards shooting rats with some mates (got 6d and free tea from the lads in the turn shed for shooting them, they use to collect in the pits under the trains in cold weather and jump out when the lads went to service a train, ugh!!!). Paul worked in a shop that had steps on the frontage, not sure what time period your looking at.

Name was Melanie Banks not melody (she's my sister )and shop was on Green Lane run by my parents Edna And Fred Banks

Postie I Used to live in Grange Road I remember a Dougie he was fair haired and mates of Terry Harrison and Brian foster ,I think . they were a year or two older than me Bernie

Does anyone remember the Stokes family of Grange rd,I think one of the girls was called Pat and her father worked in a local bread shop.

I went to bordesley tech school and i had a couple of mates Derek Osbourne who's mom had a hairdressing shop in the front room of the house in Grange Rd. Also,Arthur Berrow who lived in Wright Street.I wonder where they are now?

Name was Melanie Banks not melody (she's my sister )and shop was on Green Lane run by my parents Edna And Fred Banks

I remember your mum and dad very well as I lived next door at 66 Green Lane at Nora Hutton's shop and I do believe your mum in later years opened a greeting card shop on the Coventry Road and Paul ran a sports shop in Hob Moor Lane. It would be great to see any photos of this area of Green Lane from the 50s and 60s
Norman Hutton

There is a photo of the Fishing tackle shop and ALS Huttons shop on Small Heath Circle.Mum did have a card shop on Coventry rd for a number of years .Best wishes Annette
I remember your mum and dad very well as I lived next door at 66 Green Lane at Nora Hutton's shop and I do believe your mum in later years opened a greeting card shop on the Coventry Road and Paul ran a sports shop in Hob Moor Lane. It would be great to see any photos of this area of Green Lane from the 50s and 60s
Norman Hutton

In the late 50's, early 60's, I lived in Grange road opposite Bertram road, at the other end of the block of terraced houses from the Nelson pub.

We had an outside toilet in the yard that was shared with our next door neighbours. We were also lucky to have a "brew house" where Mum did the washing in the copper over the boiler. We used to have baths in this from time to time! At the Coventry road end of Grange Road, opposite the "Grange" cinema there used to be a cake shop called, I believe, Cogzills(?) (I'm sure that's not the correct spelling). I went to Somerville road school and Barbara Cogzill was in my class. Other people that I remember from those days are Christine Clarke, who lived at the junction of Grange Road & Muntz Street, Graham Philips, Derek Osbourne,and Alan & Barry Green

My aunt & uncle lived in one of the back houses at the bottom of Wright street.

Pedro, you must have lived next door to the old couple who had a sort of model village in their garden! I lived on the opposite side.

Pedro, you must have lived next door to the old couple who had a sort of model village in their garden! I lived on the opposite side.

Yes that's right. The old couple lived between our house and Jerry's (who also contributes to this site and runs "Small Heath Circle Forum")

Did you live nearby?

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
we used to go in the grounds of pelam with my family and dad used to go over to dunns and bring fish and chips back

Re: grange road

Yes I recall the fish and chip shop we used to go after goin coming out of the Grange cinema which was one of the 1st to close ..other local cinemas were the Kingston ,the Coronet .Adelphi and one at the wheatsjheaf dont recall its name, and one of the best fish shops was in glovers rd by small heath park mmmmmcan smell em now. I believe Bedders at Haymills comes quite close will try when I come home for holiday in may.
brings back memories thanks

Hello Bordesley the nearest secondary school to Grange road was Marlborough Road until the early 60s when it closed as a secondary school and most of the pupils transferred to Oakley Road .There was also Cherrywood Road , Oldknow Road , Bordesley Green Girls ,and the Rosary catholic school Bernie
Yep!

Back