• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

GRANGE ROAD, SMALL HEATH

Grange Road B10

Hi everyone

I'm doing some searching to trace my partners Father. Oddly her birth certificate states that at time of Birth her address was 1 Beech Avenue, Grange Road, Birmingham B10.

However I can find Grange Road Small heath but I can't find any record at all of Beech Avenue!

Does anyone have any ideas such as was it demolished etc?

My best regards

Marc:)
Hi Marc! I was living at 8 Beech Avenue in 1952 to 1956. I was 6 years old when I left to go to the flats in Yardley. 1 Beech Avenue must have been right onto Green Lane. There was a retaining wall at the pavement. There was a lamp at the end of the avenue where the " Teddy boys" used to meet.

In the late 50's, early 60's, I lived in Grange road opposite Bertram road, at the other end of the block of terraced houses from the Nelson pub.

We had an outside toilet in the yard that was shared with our next door neighbours. We were also lucky to have a "brew house" where Mum did the washing in the copper over the boiler. We used to have baths in this from time to time! At the Coventry road end of Grange Road, opposite the "Grange" cinema there used to be a cake shop called, I believe, Cogzills(?) (I'm sure that's not the correct spelling). I went to Somerville road school and Barbara Cogzill was in my class. Other people that I remember from those days are Christine Clarke, who lived at the junction of Grange Road & Muntz Street, Graham Philips, Derek Osbourne,and Alan & Barry Green

My aunt & uncle lived in one of the back houses at the bottom of Wright street.
Hi I think you may mean Kunzel Cakes!.

I LIVED IN PUGH ROAD ASTON IN THE SIXTIES BUT I WAS BROUGHT UP AT 146 GRANGE ROAD, SMALL HEATH. DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE ANY MEMORIES OF THE AREA? 8) :steaming:
Nearly sure friends of mine lived 104 Grange Rd. They were the Terry brothers Lenny and Jonnie In their 70's now ... Jonny worked in fruit & veg wholesale markets....a 3am start ...

Back