• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

grandparents

W

wildman

I was looking around the internet yesterday and came across this site that is excellent.I live in Salisbury now but my youth was spent in Northfield,dad worked for the Austen (british leyland)and then for someone called Sturges and then back to the Austen.Dad was a Black Country man and very proud of it gran and grandad were born and bred in West Bromwich ,so maybe this isnt the right site for this post, but when i google the internet for black country forums nothing comes up.My gran and grandad worked for Mitchells and Butlers for many years as publicans and i can still remember visiting one of there pubs when i was a boy .I have grandads watch that was given to him by the brewery in 1966 for 20 years service and they retired in the late 70,s.I have lots of photos of gran and grandad in pubs that they had and i feel it was all a different time when pubs were drinking places ,gran always told me of pulling the pints and lining them up on the bar so when the factories turned out men would come in and quench there thirst.
Anyway enough of that ,pubs that they had were the Antelope and the Brighton Arms ,i cant remember where these pubs were are they in the Birmingham area any help would be much appreciated.Both granparents were M&B through and through .:)

The Antelope, Stratford Rd/ Baker St, Sparkhill. c1924

Attachments

• Sparkhill Stratford Rd The Antelope.jpg
    Sparkhill Stratford Rd The Antelope.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Brighton Arms was on the Coventry Rd, Small Heath just before the blues ground on the way to the city centre (right hand side). I used to play for the pool team back in the 70's. Can't remember the publicans though.

Hanco

are both pubs still standing publicans names were tom and nellie lole >They may have moved on by the seventies as they spent a bit of time doing relief mainly in the pub opposite the turves green schools
many thanks

There was also a Brighton on Ladypool Rd. ( first picture )
Coventry Rd ( 2nd picture )

Attachments

• Small Heath Coventry Rd Brighton.jpg
    Small Heath Coventry Rd Brighton.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Balsall Heath Brighton Ladypool Rd x.jpg
    Balsall Heath Brighton Ladypool Rd x.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies ,it was the second pub with the black and white photo,i can just about remember the frontage .many thanks.:)

The Brighton Arms Coventry Road

This Was Next Door To Tesco I Worked There ( Tesco ) Circa 1967 /68 And From Memory It Had A Big Bar In The Front And A More Intimate Lounge At The Back Seeing The Name Of The Landlord I Think He Was Always Called "lol" As A Name By The Drinkers Many Happy Hours And Never A Whiff Of Trouble
John Edward

Thanks for the reply johnedward,Brighton arms is the pub i can remember .Tom and Nellie Lole ran the pub and were old time publicans ,no one really messed with my gran (i think she was the boss).I have a few memories of going there as a kid but was never allowed in the bar area during opening times but gran in later life always told me stories .GrAN would always be poloshing glasses when not serving because she hated dirty glasses ,customers would,nt call her by her first name always had to be mrs Lole they called grandad Tom because he was a bit more layed back, i dont think they were tyrants i just think they had to run a tight pub. I remember the two bars ,she always had a cherry dispenser on the bar shaped like a grapefriut and if i was lucky she would give me one before opening,the other bar that was a bit more private had bakelite bell pushes around and about and i always wondered what these were for. I HAVE LOTS OF MEMORIES AND WILL HOPEFULLY ADD THEM WITH SOME PICS LATER
MANY THANKS

Brighton Arms

i used the Brighton pub for about two years before i left Birmingham for ever . I must say it was always a very clean place and i never saw drunken behaver . that was in 1964 when i left and i had a bit of a going away party and i remember the gaffer got me a drink in . That was my last drink i had before leaving happy days eh Regards bobby

Back